+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stopped at Canadian border

BrooklynMommy

Feb 17, 2020
I am a US citizen but also technically a Canadian citizen through descent from my mother ,who is a Canadian citizen and was born prior to 1947 in Canada, but have not applied for my citizenship certificate. Recently we went to help a friend move back to Canada and stayed for a week, but on the way back we were stopped at the Canadian border and I was asked questions about a misdemeanor that I received almost 30 years ago that was resolved by restitution. I was told that if it was over a certain amount of money that I wouldn't be allowed back into the country and would need to provide verification of restitution.

Can they prevent me from entering the country even though I am technically Canadian? I am currently applying for my citizenship certificate.

What is the monetary amount involved in a misdemeanor that prevents someone from entering Canada? Not a DUI, drugs or violent crime.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a US citizen but also technically a Canadian citizen through descent from my mother ,who is a Canadian citizen and was born prior to 1947 in Canada, but have not applied for my citizenship certificate. Recently we went to help a friend move back to Canada and stayed for a week, but on the way back we were stopped at the Canadian border and I was asked questions about a misdemeanor that I received almost 30 years ago that was resolved by restitution. I was told that if it was over a certain amount of money that I wouldn't be allowed back into the country and would need to provide verification of restitution.

Can they prevent me from entering the country even though I am technically Canadian? I am currently applying for my citizenship certificate.

What is the monetary amount involved in a misdemeanor that prevents someone from entering Canada? Not a DUI, drugs or violent crime.
Until you have proof you are a Canadian citizen, yes - they can certainly deny you entry into Canada.

Get the application for your proof of citizenship in asap. Processing will take several months at a minimum.

In terms of your misdemeanor, you need to determine what the equivalent charge would be in Canada. Whether or not you are inadmissible depends on a number of factors including the nature of the crime. It's not just about the monetary amount.

BrooklynMommy

Feb 17, 2020
Ok, found out that you are correct and until I get my citizenship certificate verifying I am a Canadian citizen, they can prevent me from entering. My misdemeanor won't prevent me from getting my certificate since I am a Canadian citizen already but just need to have it verified and provided the certificate. I am sending it in right away so I don't have any more problems. Thank you for your reply!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, found out that you are correct and until I get my citizenship certificate verifying I am a Canadian citizen, they can prevent me from entering. My misdemeanor won't prevent me from getting my certificate since I am a Canadian citizen already but just need to have it verified and provided the certificate. I am sending it in right away so I don't have any more problems. Thank you for your reply!
I knew I was correct. :)

FYI - Processing times for proof of citizenship is around six months. Just to set your expectations on how long it might be before you are able to enter Canada. Agreed your charge won't prevent you from getting the certificate.