+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Still having issues and need your help

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi all, I would appreciate your advice and weigh ins on this issue. What does clearance for minors mean? Is that police certificate? My son was away for >200 days after landing as Pr. When he turned 14yrs old, he spent 95days before returning fully to Canada. Today, he’s 16. IRCC says to obtain a police report if a minor has spent 730days in a row when 14yrs old and older. Looking at my scenario, do we obtain a police report (applying together as family)? Is that what the clearance is about? Pls see IRCC statement of website below. Thanks so much for your responses.
Clearances
  • Minors must not be prohibited under 22 of the Act and must not be the subject of a declaration by the Governor-in-Council made under section 20 of the Act.
  • Permanent resident status is verified for all minor applicants and that status must have been maintained and there must be no unfulfilled conditions under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act related to their permanent resident status.
  • Criminal and security clearances are generally not requested for minors under 16, although an official may request such clearances, if adverse information is received.
  • Criminal and security clearances are required for minors 16 years of age and older.
  • Local offices must verify minor children clearances in situations where they are close to 15 and a half years of age. This is to be prepared to request their criminal and security clearance and have results in time in order to avoid delays in the process.