+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to take if your PGWP expires right after the application deadline for PGWP renewal due to COVID-19

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
For those who graduated in 2020, you've probably seen that PGWP holders can now apply to renew their permits for 18 months due to COVID.

However, you can only do it if your PGWP expires 4 months or fewer from the date you apply. As per the news release, the application period is only until July 27. That means if your PGWP expires beyond 4 months from July 27, you won't be eligible.

Obviously, this isn't fair to many students like me who applied for the PGWP in September and only got it issued in December 2020 until December 2021. I graduated in August during the pandemic and I shouldn't have to miss out just because an officer took an extra 10 days to issue my PGWP.

Anyway, many people are in this same boat and if you want to do something, here are some steps for now:
  • Contact Marco Mendicino at minister@cic.gc.ca and let him know of your situation
  • Follow and subscribe to Migrant Rights. From what I believe, they played a big role in getting PGWPs to be renewable and will be having meetings soon.
  • Keep tagging @marcomendicino and @CitImmCanada to keep awareness going.
The Canadian government usually listens and makes changes like they did with CERB so all hope is not lost. Hopefully, they extend the application period! Please reply if there are any other steps students in this predicament can take. Thanks!

zhu9

Jan 15, 2021
The unfairness of this policy is outrageous. They are basically punishing us for having a valid PGWP during this pandemic, and even compensating some who really didn't affect much by the pandemic.

If we do the math and substract the 18 month which seems to be their definition of "the chances of obtaining work experience needed to apply for PR thats being jeopardized by the pandemic", then:

For a 3 year PGWP holder like me who expires after the application period, that cuts me down to only 1 and half years not being "jeopardized by the pandemic", with 0 compensation whatsoever.

But for a 3 year PGWP holder whom expired at the beginning of the pandemic (Jan 30, 2020), whom already took full advantage of their 3 year PGWP, they get another 18 month, for free. That's 4 and half year in total.

What is the logic behind this?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The unfairness of this policy is outrageous. They are basically punishing us for having a valid PGWP during this pandemic, and even compensating some who really didn't affect much by the pandemic.

If we do the math and substract the 18 month which seems to be their definition of "the chances of obtaining work experience needed to apply for PR thats being jeopardized by the pandemic", then:

For a 3 year PGWP holder like me who expires after the application period, that cuts me down to only 1 and half years not being "jeopardized by the pandemic", with 0 compensation whatsoever.

But for a 3 year PGWP holder whom expired at the beginning of the pandemic (Jan 30, 2020), whom already took full advantage of their 3 year PGWP, they get another 18 month, for free. That's 4 and half year in total.

What is the logic behind this?
Exactly, reading the policy doesnt make sense. If you have valid PGWP and have been affected by the pandemic, not working then its like you are losing 18months without being considered, while those with expired PGWP gets extra 18months. Immigration Canada could consider extending by to anyone who applies, as long as he provides proof of how s/he was affected by pandemic. Work In-Canada experience matters in this regard

Reactions: lukeortolani