+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to complete once PR under PGP stream is approved

tecumseh

Oct 2, 2019
Hi all

My parents recently completed their PR landing after the approval of their parents' and grandparents' application. They both are 55+.

What are the next steps in terms of the paperwork that they need to complete?

Some of the things I am working on right now are getting a bank account, Health card, and SIN number.

What else do I need to enroll them for? Is health insurance other thing I should look into?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all

My parents recently completed their PR landing after the approval of their parents' and grandparents' application. They both are 55+.

What are the next steps in terms of the paperwork that they need to complete?

Some of the things I am working on right now are getting a bank account, Health card, and SIN number.

What else do I need to enroll them for? Is health insurance other thing I should look into?
Yes you can look into extended benefits plans but in general it is not really worth purchasing an individual plan. They don’t cover much so makes more sense to pay cash most of the time but you will have to look into the plans given your particular situation. If they are 55 and not planning on working or not able to find a job with extended benefits things definitely are much more expensive than for parents that are 65+.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does anyone know if I need to apply for old age security or pension plan?
Your parents don’t qualify. That is part of you taking financial responsibility for 20 years. They are also not over 65 and have not been in Canada for 10 years which is another requirement. Had you not looked into this before applying for PGP and determining if your family could afford to support your parents financially. For example if your parent ended up in a public nursing home your family would have to pay $1200/month. There can be major expenses associated with bringing parents to Canada.