+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps for getting Social Ins Number and registered for health care?

LCS

May 5, 2005
Once the PR visa is finally received from the Embassy and my husband lands here, are those documents enough to register for a SIN and get registered on (Alberta) Health Care or do we have to wait until the Landed Immigrant ID card is sent out before even being able to do these things? thanks for the info.
LCS

www.cic.gc.ca has info about people landing. I know some provinces wont issue a health card right away. You have to purchase health insurance for a few months.

As for the SIN card, if they don't give it to him at a embassy or port, go to a 'service Canada' office and they can hook you up.

Just to add to the health insurance and why its a good thing, a little horror story;

A story in the newpaper a few months ago about a guy who met a women from Cyrus got married got the PR after so many months, all the while she was pregnant with his baby, and after a few weeks after she landed, gave birth and afterwards the hosipital bill was $20,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no health card, and no insurance. It was in the newpaper because he just returned from a tour in Afghanistan and tried to use his title as a military member and veteran, for the whole 'support the troops' thing.

not that your husband will deliver a baby, but I'm just saying get the insurance just to be safe; anything can happen.

I'm in the Military and also a veteran, but I don't feel any sympathy for that guys situation. He should have done his research.

Sorry for the long message, my wifes in Thailand and I'm bored and my dog doesn't talk to me (for some strange reason)

thank you for keeping me busy

Graeme

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
ur passport and CoPR are enough to get SIN number, health care is differnet from province to province, in on tario u need passport, copr or pr card, and apiece of mail with ur name and addy on it, mail including hydro or cable bill, lease agreement, or something else on the apporved list. not sure what u need for alberta.

LCS

May 5, 2005
thanks to you both for the info.
I am the Cdn citizen with all my Health Care etc. already in place and my husband would be on my company's insurance plan once he gets here. I was just wondering how quickly he could get his Alberta Health Care card. His PR papers would have our home address on them so maybe that's enough.
Graeme, glad you find the forum as entertaining as I do ;-)
LCS

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LCS said:
thanks to you both for the info.
I am the Cdn citizen with all my Health Care etc. already in place and my husband would be on my company's insurance plan once he gets here. I was just wondering how quickly he could get his Alberta Health Care card. His PR papers would have our home address on them so maybe that's enough.
Graeme, glad you find the forum as entertaining as I do ;-)
LCS
As it is Alberta he is eligible for health care from day one.

PMM