+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps for getting police clearance as Indian citizen staying in US from India and USA?

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hi All,

Can anyone who has undergone the process of availing police clearance from USA and India as an Indian citizen , please guide me how to get PCC for my current country of residence -USA and previously India.

For US PCC:

I did check CIC website and from their I was directed to FBI website and FBI website mentions that I need to fill the form I783 and send it across.
Until here its good but then it also mentions that I need to send the fingerprint sent as well and for that there is form FD 258 which they advise to print on white paper but the question is :

From where can I get the finger printing done ?
Does fingerprinting from private agencies honored ? Should I
Can I initiate the process ahead of time i.e right after I submit my express entry profile ?
I read DMV might /can do fingerprinting done but would require a letter from Canadian consulate ?

For Indian PCC the CIC website mentions contact the nearest embassy :

When I search for embassy nearest to Missouri(my current resident state) I see only missouri embassy which only provides passport and visa services.

A real time experience and guidance from experience members will be much appreciated.

Thank You

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
Hi All,

Can anyone who has undergone the process of availing police clearance from USA and India as an Indian citizen , please guide me how to get PCC for my current country of residence -USA and previously India.

For US PCC:

I did check CIC website and from their I was directed to FBI website and FBI website mentions that I need to fill the form I783 and send it across.
Until here its good but then it also mentions that I need to send the fingerprint sent as well and for that there is form FD 258 which they advise to print on white paper but the question is :

From where can I get the finger printing done ?
Does fingerprinting from private agencies honored ? Should I
Can I initiate the process ahead of time i.e right after I submit my express entry profile ?
I read DMV might /can do fingerprinting done but would require a letter from Canadian consulate ?

For Indian PCC the CIC website mentions contact the nearest embassy :

When I search for embassy nearest to Missouri(my current resident state) I see only missouri embassy which only provides passport and visa services.

A real time experience and guidance from experience members will be much appreciated.

Thank You
I went to a local private company that does background checks for companies. They had the form I783 & FD 258 and helped me fill them. I suggest get the FBI PCC process started asap as it takes about 14-16 weeks to process. But it also would depend on your total points and when do you think you will get the ITA as the PCC is valid for 6 months.

As for the Indian PCC, I submitted mine to the nearest consulate. Try looking at the consulate website rather than the Embassy website.

Reactions: Billoo3108

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Any inputs on this thread will be much appreciated. Thank You
For US PCC, just google search "fingerprinting near me". Pick one that does digital fingerprints as many believe these are of better quality.
I read somewhere in cic website that you may apply for FBI PCC before you get ITA, but I can't find it now.
You don't need anything from Canadian Consulate to obtain FBI PCC.

For Indian PCC
Check your nearest Indian Consulate website for PCC instructions. Mine was in Chicago but I could not go there in person. So I mailed my passport and other documents and got it back in about 10 days.

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
If your score is 440+ you can probably apply for the fbi pcc now itself. I got my fingerprints done from the county sheriff's office and they charged $15 cash or check only. The local police station also had fingerprinting services.

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
I went to a local private company that does background checks for companies. They had the form I783 & FD 258 and helped me fill them. I suggest get the FBI PCC process started asap as it takes about 14-16 weeks to process. But it also would depend on your total points and when do you think you will get the ITA as the PCC is valid for 6 months.

As for the Indian PCC, I submitted mine to the nearest consulate. Try looking at the consulate website rather than the Embassy website.
Thanks so much for your response. Just few more clarifications needed:

I read FBI does not accept the fingerprint sent from private agencies ? If that's not true then I believe going to private agencies would be best and faster too.

Would you mind quoting few reliable agencies which you referred to for sending it to FBI ?

Thanks

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
For US PCC, just google search "fingerprinting near me". Pick one that does digital fingerprints as many believe these are of better quality.
I read somewhere in cic website that you may apply for FBI PCC before you get ITA, but I can't find it now.
You don't need anything from Canadian Consulate to obtain FBI PCC.

For Indian PCC
Check your nearest Indian Consulate website for PCC instructions. Mine was in Chicago but I could not go there in person. So I mailed my passport and other documents and got it back in about 10 days.
Thanks for your responses again.

I am almost clear on US PCC.

For India PCC- My Indian consulate is also Chicago but I cannot go in person so I will need to send documents in mail. It is said that if documents are sent on post then it should be notarized.

I read Fedex or UPS does notarize it. Is that also you know and confirm. Thanks so much.

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017

Hi ,

Apologies for too many questions, few more would you mind to respond :
On Indian PCC - What is the processing time for India PCC?

What does Consulate give back in return- A certificate of clearance?

Thanks

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi ,

Apologies for too many questions, few more would you mind to respond :
On Indian PCC - What is the processing time for India PCC?

What does Consulate give back in return- A certificate of clearance?

Thanks
About 2 weeks. They will issue a letter. Notarization can be done by any notary public (AAA, UPS store, or local bank). Just google notary near me.

Reactions: Billoo3108

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
For getting the Indian PCC what is the process? Thanks in advance
Hi,

Are you an Indian stayin in US ?

If so, you need to go to the website of your nearest Indian consulate and under Misc services there is PCC service.

You need send notarized copied of your visa, physical passport, copy of passport, I94 and latest driving license to the consulate and they shall send you the PCC.

Thanks

Reactions: viki1805

ms1991

May 8, 2018
Hello Folks

I need a clarification on PCC.I came to US on study visa 4 months ago.Before that I have stayed in India only.Do I need to provide PCC from US or the one from India only will solve the purpose.I m planning to apply immediately after next draw.

Billoo3108

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hello Folks

I need a clarification on PCC.I came to US on study visa 4 months ago.Before that I have stayed in India only.Do I need to provide PCC from US or the one from India only will solve the purpose.I m planning to apply immediately after next draw.
Hi,
You will need both.

PCC from your country of Origin India - The nearest CGI to you can provide this
PCC from current country of residence USA - this will be through FBI.

Thanks

Sunakashi

Jan 7, 2018
I did my PCC for USA by sending electronic fingerprint by USPS , have I done right?

I received the below on letter head. Is it the right document i received?

Name
C/O: Name
5519 Address
Date: 11-10-2018
The Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has completed the following
fingerprint submission:
Subject Name
Name
Search Completed Result
A SEARCH OF THE FINGERPRINTS PROVIDED BY
THIS INDIVIDUAL HAS REVEALED NO PRIOR
ARREST DATA AT THE FBI. THIS DOES NOT
PRECLUDE FURTHER CRIMINAL HISTORY AT THE
STATE OR LOCAL LEVEL.
11-10-2018 Application number
Date of Birth: ---------------
Social Security number: -------------------------
The result of the above response is only effective for the date the
submission was originally completed. For more updated information,
please submit new fingerprints of the Subject.
In order to protect Personally Identifiable Information, as of
August 17, 2009, FBI policy has changed to no longer return the
fingerprint cards. This form will serve as the FBI’s official
response.
This Identity History Summary (IdHS) is provided pursuant to
28 CFR 16.30-16.34 solely for you to conduct a personal review and/or
obtain a change, correction, or updating of your record. This IdHS is
not provided for the purpose of licensing or employment or any other
purpose enumerated in 28 CFR 20.33.
Any questions may be addressed to the Customer Service Group at (304)
625-5590. You may also visit the website at www.fbi.gov/checks for
further instructions.