Steps for changing (College to University) and working off-campus

longvh

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hi all,
Have you experienced the same situation or got information on CIC about the issue?
Could you please give me the instruction and CIC's regulations on this? I haven't found it myself.

My profile:
Currently studying at a DLI (College) (expected graduation by Dec 2022, including a Co-op program)
Currently working part-time off-campus < 20h/week.
This semester will end in July 2021
Valid Study permit: Nov 2022
WP for this Co-op program

Got LOA from University
Start new program: August 2021
Graduation: Aug 2022 (include a Graduate Project which requires WP).

PLAN
Finish the semester by July 20, 2021
Change DLI in CIC account (using current SP, no need to change)
Apply for new WP for Graduate Project at University.

My question is:
Can I work off-campus when finishing my semester and after changing DLI with CIC, for example from July 20 to August (when the new program will have not started yet).

The information I got from CIC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#situation

If you’re on an authorized leave
If you’re on an authorized leave from your studies, or you’re switching schools and you’re not studying, you can’t work off campus. You can only return to work once you’re back to studying.

During scheduled breaks in the school year
You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week.
You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time: This requirement is met.
You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester. How about changing between DLIs situation?

Based on this information, as long as I have not submitted the DLI change, I can work off-campus, and have to stop doing so after changing DLI?

All contributions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi all,
Have you experienced the same situation or got information on CIC about the issue?
Could you please give me the instruction and CIC's regulations on this? I haven't found it myself.

My profile:
Currently studying at a DLI (College) (expected graduation by Dec 2022, including a Co-op program)

Got LOA from University

PLAN

My question is:
Can I work off-campus when finishing my semester and after changing DLI with CIC, for example from July 20 to August (when the new program will have not started yet).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#situation

If you’re on an authorized leave from your studies, or you’re switching schools and you’re not studying, you can’t work off campus. You can only return to work once you’re back to studying.

You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week.
You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time: This requirement is met.
You can’t work during a break that comes before you start your very first school semester. How about changing between DLIs situation?

Based on this information, as long as I have not submitted the DLI change, I can work off-campus, and have to stop doing so after changing DLI?

Exactly, soon as you change schools, you need to have Full time status by registering to a new school, therefore you can not work. Changing schools can be easier once you have LOA, but that doesnt mean automatically you are enrolled through course registration.

longvh

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Exactly, soon as you change schools, you need to have Full time status by registering to a new school, therefore you can not work. Changing schools can be easier once you have LOA, but that doesnt mean automatically you are enrolled through course registration.
Thank you for your reply.
Is it possible to change DLI right before the new school year starts? Or we need to do that before registering for courses at new program?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for your reply.
Is it possible to change DLI right before the new school year starts? Or we need to do that before registering for courses at new program?
May be the question is, you want to bypass that regulation by keeping same DLI during scheduled break so you can continue working, right? If the answer is YES, im not sure from compliance perspective but i think you can change prior to starting your new DLI close to your course registration

longvh

Star Member
Sep 4, 2018
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
May be the question is, you want to bypass that regulation by keeping same DLI during scheduled break so you can continue working, right? If the answer is YES, im not sure from compliance perspective but i think you can change prior to starting your new DLI close to your course registration
Thank you.

My transition time between 2 DLIs is only 3 weeks.
I have several options:
1. Change right after my last final exam of this semester.
2. Change after getting all the grades in my transcript (provided that will happen before the new program starts).
To inform the current DLI of my decision, perform some final paperwork.
3. Before starting new program

I favor Option 2, as long as it will be in the middle of the transition time.

Shawaiz

May 18, 2020
Hi all,

My profile:

Got LOA from University

PLAN

My question is:

Hi , i am in a similair situation. Did you have any issues getting PGWP?