+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Step daughters status?

Cagedanomaly

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone.
I hope you are all well and staying healthy.
I have a question regarding my step daughter. My husband applied for inland sponsorship and PR, and we included his teenaged daughter in the paperwork, though she does not currently live in this country.

As my husband's PR has come through several months ago, we are wondering what exactly his daughter's status is now. If she wants to come here and live with us, go to school in Canada and so on....do we have to apply for something else for her?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone.
I have a question regarding my step daughter. My husband applied for inland sponsorship and PR, and we included his teenaged daughter in the paperwork, though she does not currently live in this country.

As my husband's PR has come through several months ago, we are wondering what exactly his daughter's status is now. If she wants to come here and live with us, go to school in Canada and so on....do we have to apply for something else for her?
If you applied with her non-accompanying you will need to sponsor her. At the moment she would be a foreign national.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

Was she included as an accompanying or non-accompanying dependent in the application?

Based on your post, most likely non-accompanying or she would have received a COPR at the same time as your husband.

If non-accompanying, then as said above, she has no status in Canada at this time and is a foreign national which does not give her the right to live or attend school here. Your husband needs to submit an application to sponsor her for PR in order for her to be able to move to Canada and attend school here. Processing times for this application will be around 8-12 months. In the event that she doesn't want to come to Canada at this time and you are planning for the future, note that the application to sponsor her for PR much reach IRCC before she turns 22. Once she is 22, it will be too late for her father to sponsor her.

Reactions: canuck78

Cagedanomaly

Jul 28, 2019
Non. We still had to get a medical done for her etc. Thats where I'm thrown off. They told us to include her in papers, and yet why. It hasn't made an difference?

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
You would of had to do a medical for your husband’s daughter either as an accompanying or non-accompanying dependent. That was to ensure she was not inadmissible. If your husband received his PR then his daughter is not inadmissible. Unless she has received a passport request from IRCC, then the next step is for you and your husband to sponsor her in an Outland application. Then she will receive a VISA or COPR and be able to reunite with you in Canada.