+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Staying" with my fiance in Canada on visitor status: ADVICE needed!!

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
Another question!! ???

Do I have to include form IMM 0008 for dependents with my application package when I have no dependents?

Or do I still submit it and write N/A for all blanks?

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I was with my husband for the duration of the app process, and I listed his home address as my mailing address with no problem

Not sure on the "country of residence" part. Hopefully someone else can help. If it were me, I'd list the actual dates I lived there, not just the past five years, but I'm not sure if that's the right answer.

I think you must mean another form? IMM 0008 is the generic app form, and you most definitely need to complete it.

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
Oh great!! Then I'll use his home address as my mailing address then. =D =D

I meant the IMM0008DEP form? It's almost the same as the IMM0008 form but its for additional dependents? It does seem like a stupid question to ask. :p I just wanted to be certain because on the checklist it said to make sure original copies of the forms (including the IMM0008DEP) are included on the package. Haven't read anything yet that says not to include forms if not applicable to the applicant.

Thanks QuebecOkie for your help! ;D

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
In IMM5490E form (Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire) question #28 (Are you currently living with your sponsor?), do I answer yes because I'll be "visiting" my would be hubby and staying together while the outland application is being processed? Or should I answer no because I'm not yet legally allowed to live with him in Canada?

I feel like this is a trick question!! ??? Lol!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I was deeply confused about all of this. I filed inland, and I'm guess you're doing outland, as I don't have that form in my files. Checked my forms, and I definitely said I was living with my husband in the application, listing our Canadian address in Québec in several different places. On IMM 0008, I even listed Canada as my current country of residence with the status of "Visitor."

I'm not at ALL sure that was the correct thing to do. I know a visitor can't actually be a resident. But when we started this process, my husband and I were SUPER concerned with not lying or misrepresenting ourselves.

*shrug* Wish I could offer you better info, but all I can say is that I pretty much told CIC (NOT at the border, but in our app for my PR) that I'm living with my husband. I kept my status current the entire time (no implied status or anything, requested and received a one-year visitor extension), and I'm done with the process with no interview or anything.

As for the IMM 0008DEP, I don't know about that. I only filled out the IMM 0008, but again, forms differ between inland and outland. If it were me, I would probably include everything on the checklist, and if a form is not applicable, I'd just write that on the form. I'm sure CIC sees stupider things, haha.

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
Oh, yeah! You did file inland.. =\ If I file outland will there be a problem if I say I'm residing in Canada as a visitor? Since I'm not yet legally allowed to actually reside in Canada? Hmm... Or I say my country of residence is USA coz I'm just visiting Canada while waiting out the process?

Gosh, I really hate all these technical terms.. >_<

I've read people mentioning that when crossing the border to visit, its better to have a letter from an employer saying that a job is waiting for me when I return from Canada.. How should the letter be written? Should it be addressed to me or addressed to the canadian border agents?

Thanks QuebecOkie for always lurking around this forum to help calm our nerves... ;)

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
There's absolutely no problem staying with your partner in Canada while an outland app is being processed. We mistakenly thought that, which is why we filed inland, a decision I long regretted.

I'm not much help with the country of residence bit. Like I said, I listed Canada, as that was where I was physically staying at the time. Caused me no issues, though I'm not sure it was correct. Do you have a "permanent" U.S. address you can use? For instance, I use my sister's address as my U.S. address for anything that requires one. I'm pretty sure, though, that you can list the U.S. as your country of residence but list a Canadian address. You are a citizen and resident of the U.S., even if you want your mail sent to where you're staying in Canada for now.

I'm not much help either with the border part. I crossed into Canada by car with my husband (we were kind of lucky - he's military, so all of our household belongings were being moved professionally and we only had suitcases with us). I told the Immigration officer (who was really nice to me, btw) that I was traveling with my husband to his new posting (true), that he had to leave that new home in Québec to spend around 5 months in Ontario for a course in just a few weeks (true), and that I was planning to, when we got the exact dates of his course, fly back to Oklahoma to stay with family while submitting an outland app for PR (false). He seemed to know exactly what I was doing (after I said I planned to fly back, he said, "And THAT is what I was waiting to hear") and even told me I didn't need a lawyer for the process ("I'm not allowed to advise you on this issue, as it could threaten my job, so I'm not telling you right now that you can absolutely do the app yourself. You hear me? I'm not saying you really don't need a lawyer." I told him I was not hearing what he was not saying loudly and clearly.) We had absolutely no trouble, despite the fact that I'd quit my job and had no lease or anything to show at the border. However, it depends on the day and the agent at the border.

If you take a letter as extra precaution, I'd think "To Whom It May Concern" would suffice.

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
I really need to go over the application thousands of times to make sure we've filled out everything correctly and hopefully won't raise any issues with them!

Yes, I have a US address that I could use. I'm currently living with my aunt so I'm going to use her address as my US address..

I guess I'd just have to pray to all the gods out there to assign a very pleasant border agent for me at the airport. And to make sure I won't be too nervous about answering all his/her questions. =)) I've already quit my job permanently but my employer had been nice to write me a letter saying that a job is waiting for me after my visit so I hope this will help... I would really looove it if they could give me a 1-year visitor record. :D