+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Quebec to finish my degree after being sponsored by my spouse in Ontario?

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Hello,

I have been living in Montreal, QC the past year and a half to study. Last June my spouse who is Canadian citizen came back to Canada and now lives in Ottawa, ON. He sponsored me last august to become PR. I was approved recently and landed last Saturday. Since my husband lives in Ontario and that I declared that my destination would be Ottawa in the application, we didn't need a CSQ.

However I'd like to finish my degree before moving to Ontario or at least stay in Montreal until I find a good job position in Ottawa. I know that not living with my sponsor for some more time isn't an issue since the condition for couples to live together was removed recently, but it would mean that I'm not respecting the destination I wrote in my application and at the same time I don't need a CSQ since my sponsor lives in Ontario.

My question then is: Is there a risk for me to stay in Quebec for maximum one more year or even a few extra months after landing as a sponsored PR from outside Quebec (= with no CSQ)? Would that be a problem when applying for citizenship? There is no condition written on my CoPR but I wanna make sure.

Thanks!

R

rish888

Once you're a PR you can stay anywhere in Canada, including Quebec.

This right is granted to you by the Canadian Charter, which states that a PR may stay in any province. (Quebec included.)

Reactions: VinceJH

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry but this screams marriage of convenience. I can understand living separately while in school but continuing to live in Montreal after you graduate until you find a good job in Ottawa makes no sense. You would be paying one rent versus 2 if you moved in with your spouse. On top of that you should want to live with your spouse as soon as possible.

R

rish888

What's the point of the CSQ if you can move into Quebec right away after landing?
For certain individuals Quebec's immigration system is more favorable that the Federal process.

The right a PR has to live in any Canadian province is a Charter right, therefore this supersedes any other agreements the feds may have with Quebec.

Plus, Quebec's policy makes it seem like they actually want federal immigrants to settle down in Quebec. While a person without a CSQ doesn't get some benefits like free French, they get Quebec rates in university, access to Quebec student aid etc.

I think the whole CSQ process was to grant Quebec a certain degree of autonomy in choosing who they want owing to the history between Quebec and the rest of Canada, but practically speaking a CSQ is no different to any other PNP, and Quebec does not have the right to exclude individuals with a Charter right to live in any province.

Reactions: jordo

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Once you're a PR you can stay anywhere in Canada, including Quebec.

This right is granted to you by the Canadian Charter, which states that a PR may stay in any province. (Quebec included.)
Thanks for your answers!

Sorry but this screams marriage of convenience. I can understand living separately while in school but continuing to live in Montreal after you graduate until you find a good job in Ottawa makes no sense. You would be paying one rent versus 2 if you moved in with your spouse. On top of that you should want to live with your spouse as soon as possible.
I don't see where would be the convenience to marry someone just to get the PR in Quebec, considering I could just use the PEQ program as a French speaker after graduating... Also I see my spouse often enough not to be desperate enough to drop my master mid-completion and move to Ottawa with no goal. I just want to first finish my degree here then move to Ottawa. Or drop my master only if I find a job in Ottawa first using my French degree.

R

rish888

I can understand living separately while in school but continuing to live in Montreal after you graduate until you find a good job in Ottawa makes no sense.
Seems like the OP was trying to say that she would like to stay until she finishes her degree, or if she manages to find a job earlier, she'd be willing to quit her education and move.

The to OP, you'll be fine. Don't worry. I wouldn't drop the degree, you might as well complete it. You can also adjust your next semester's tuition to reflect what Quebec students pay. (See situation 7/8 of Quebec residency determination. 3 months in Quebec with less than 3 months outside Quebec.)

Note: The "less than 3 months outside Quebec" only applies to time spent outside Quebec after getting your PR, so you'll qualify for this situation.

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Seems like the OP was trying to say that she would like to stay until she finishes her degree, or if she manages to find a job earlier, she'd be willing to quit her education and move.

That's exactly what I meant, thank you!

The to OP, you'll be fine. Don't worry. I wouldn't drop the degree, you might as well complete it. You can also adjust your next semester's tuition to reflect what Quebec students pay. (See situation 7/8 of Quebec residency determination. 3 months in Quebec with less than 3 months outside Quebec.)
I was actually already paying the Quebec resident tuition fees as I have the French citizenship. There's an agreement between France and Quebec hence why there are so many French students here :)

R

rish888

That's exactly what I meant, thank you!

I was actually already paying the Quebec resident tuition fees as I have the French citizenship. There's an agreement between France and Quebec hence why there are so many French students here :)
Do you pay the Quebec rate or the Canadian rate?

I remember reading that Quebec changed the agreement with France to offer the Canadian, and not the Quebec rate. Maybe you were studying before the change and got grand-fathered in or something.

In case you're paying the Canadian rate instead of the Quebec rate, do know that you can switch.

As I said before, don't worry about staying in Quebec. As far as mobility rights go, you have the same rights as Canadian citizens. You can live anywhere in Canada, including Quebec.

VinceJH

Jul 5, 2017
Montréal, QC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
AOR Received.
27-09-2017
File Transfer...
13-10-2017
Med's Request
04-10-2017
Med's Done....
06-10-2017
Passport Req..
22-12-2017
Do you pay the Quebec rate or the Canadian rate?

I remember reading that Quebec changed the agreement with France to offer the Canadian, and not the Quebec rate. Maybe you were studying before the change and got grand-fathered in or something.

In case you're paying the Canadian rate instead of the Quebec rate, do know that you can switch.

As I said before, don't worry about staying in Quebec. As far as mobility rights go, you have the same rights as Canadian citizens. You can live anywhere in Canada, including Quebec.
I pay the Quebec rate. Indeed they changed it to the Canadian rate but for bachelor degrees only. French students in a master's degree still get to pay the Quebec resident rate!