+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada while applying outland from the US

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I'm am American citizen, married to a Canadian citizen. I've found lots of good info here, thank you! I have a few fairly general questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I understand that I'm able to stay in Canada while my PR app is processing. What I'm unsure of is how to go about doing this properly. Our plan is for me to head up there on the first weekend in May. I will bring our marriage certificate and proof that I have funds to support myself if I need to return to the US.

• Should we send in our sponsorship/PR app before I arrive at the border, and bring a copy of the completed app, or is it sufficient to show proof of marriage and state my intent to apply? I'm going to have my medical/fingerprints/background done, I planned to bring them as proof I'm going to apply for PR as soon as I get there.
  • I understand that I can't show up with a U Haul with my belongings, but realistically, what/how much will I be allowed to bring?
  • Should I call the crossing ahead and let them know I'm coming and planning on staying? My husband will not be with me, either, my parents are driving me up and staying the weekend, then returning to the US.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions... thank you in advance, and good luck and speedy processing to all.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rasa,

I am not sure about your first question. Others that have done this would be better to answer that one. You might need proof of return (job, lease, etc, that confirms you have plans to return to the US.)

My understanding from reading of others' experiences on here is that you should bring the amount of things you would bring for a visit. Bringing out of season clothes (lots of winter sweaters when you are coming in May) would probably raise red flags. As would bringing a large amount of possessions.

I don't think you can do anything in advance (like calling). I think you just show up at the border with all your documents and see if they let you in. It's scary to not know until the last minute if there will be problems, but I think that's just the process. Hopefully others who have done this will reply. And I know this has been discussed on other threads; maybe if you search under the keyword "visiting" or something, you might come across some of those discussions from people who have done it? Because the timing of submitting the application (or not) before you cross the border is something that is a pretty important factor, I think.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm assuming you guys are doing an outland application (rather than inland)?

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we'll be doing outland.

The only proof of return I'll have is my bank statements really, so it's going to be a little harrowing.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you know, you cannot "move" to Canada, you can "visit".

You need to convince the IO that you will be leaving.
Stand back from all the things that you are considering bringing with you - be really cynical, does any of it look like you are moving, if yes - don't bring it.

You can submit your app' before entering as a visitor, some people do, others wait until they are inside Canada.
The choice is yours.

Only bring what is sensible for your visit - turning up with two giant bags, a wedding dress, two dogs and a goldfish is likely to get you into secondary screening quite fast :)
Calling ahead is pointless IMO, the only decision that matters is on the day you want to enter.

Good luck.

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel like it's tough to determine what to bring for a "visit" when the visit may be 6 months, then extended, this is where I'm struggling. (MAY be, of course! Best case scenario!) If I'm going to be visiting for 6 months, I sure do want to have my bike! Though I can certainly do without it. But good advice, to look at what I want to bring and see if it looks like I'm "moving" rather than "visiting".

We'll likely hold off on applying till I'm physically there, just much easier, so good to know.

When I arrive at the border, I should tell the IO that I am visiting my spouse, and will be applying for PR while I'm there? (And have all my supporting documentation like marriage certificate, proof of return, medical/FBI paperwork and the app itself.)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rasa said:
I feel like it's tough to determine what to bring for a "visit" when the visit may be 6 months, then extended, this is where I'm struggling. (MAY be, of course! Best case scenario!) If I'm going to be visiting for 6 months, I sure do want to have my bike! Though I can certainly do without it. But good advice, to look at what I want to bring and see if it looks like I'm "moving" rather than "visiting".

We'll likely hold off on applying till I'm physically there, just much easier, so good to know.

When I arrive at the border, I should tell the IO that I am visiting my spouse, and will be applying for PR while I'm there? (And have all my supporting documentation like marriage certificate, proof of return, medical/FBI paperwork and the app itself.)
Actually, I would recommend submitting the application before you arrive in Canada. Show up at the border with the sponsorship approval letter. Allows you to be completely honest about your intentions of visiting your spouse and shows the officer that you are following the proper procedures.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Generally the rule of thumb if you are going to talk about the application is to have your spouse with you. Personally we DID not mention our intentions of filing an application and I do believe that if we did I would have gotten the refusal letter. It is much easier to try to get across and then file for an extension of your visit after six months.
Remember when you are packing that Canada has everything you will need to survive and sentimentals are not worth the pain of being refused for a year at the border.
I also recommend not crossing with the application in hand.

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really would love to have completed the application and received initial approval, but it's looking like that's not going to work out--my husband will be on the other side of the country for a month at conferences and the like. Even if we sent it in now, I doubt we'd get the initial approval in time for me to leave the first weekend in May?

So the other option, without having applied ahead of time, is to just go up with my parents to visit my husband, without mentioning the PR app. Make sure I don't have any stuff that would look suspicious, bring bank statements to prove that I can afford to come back, get an apartment, and support myself till I find a job, and hopefully be granted a 6 month visa. I also have an email from my husband's employer stating that they'll cover me on their non-resident insurance (which is AWESOME and provides the same coverage as OHIP but at a slightly higher rate) too.

Cindy1

Star Member
Jan 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-04-2011
AOR Received.
07-03-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
26-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
rasa could you always bring with you minimal luggage/stuff.

And have the rest shipped seperately. This will allow you to cross the boarder, with minimal items initially but still get them too you.

Even though as a US resident you can visit for 6 months, don't stay longer without getting an extension.

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hm having stuff shipped sounds like it might draw unwanted attention from Customs, wouldn't it?

Am I to understand that unless a date is written in my passport, I can stay for up to 6 months? I was up there a few weeks ago and had a return ticked back for 10 days later, but the IO hand wrote a date 6 months from the date of entry. Only time that's happened.

TreeLover

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
Doc's Request.
none requested
AOR Received.
28-01-2010
File Transfer...
14-12-2010
Med's Done....
29-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2011
LANDED..........
21-04-2011
rasa,

I did what you want to do. I've been here in Canada 5 months now. We hadn't filed the application before crossing, BUT we did pay the fees online and I did my medical. The reason we didn't file is because we were waiting for the FBI report. In case you didn't know, that can take up to 3 months to get. So I had a copy of the application and form that showed I did my medical and we paid the fees, so they knew we were serious about really filing. I was with my partner at the time and we had a uhaul trailer with us (although this is never recommended on this forum). We said the uhaul had all his stuff and all of my things were in my car. They did search my car, but I don't think they looked inside my bags. I did bring a bike, plus skis (I crossed in October). I've brought over my bike as a tourist before when I was just visiting a few weeks. That is something you would use while traveling, so I don't think that would be a problem. I had about two big duffels of clothes and shoes, computer, camera, some musical instruments too. They did think I had a lot of stuff and the IO mentioned this, but he was nice and gave me a 9 month visitor record. Before he did that, he scared me by saying that if they thought I was moving to Canada, that they could ban me for a year.

I did bring copies of my banks statements too. When they asked if I rented or owned a home in the USA, I had to say no, and told them I had things in storage in WA. He laughed when I said this. But what else could I say? That was the truth as we had moved out of our apartment. I guess an alternative would have been to say I live with my parents (in another state). So maybe that could be an option for you?

I think part of it is luck on what IO you get. Another reason they let me through was that the IO looked at our application and he thought I would have no problem being approved (hopefully he was right!). What they worry about is that if you aren't approved and then you don't leave Canada anyway (or some people say they are going to file and then cross and just don't - the IO told me this). So, because of that, I think if you haven't filed before you want to cross, then you should have your application with you to show them with the fees paid and medical done.

Hmm, it might be better to be with your husband when you cross, but not with a uhaul along, if you can manage it like that. Like I said, I did that, but it is risky.

rasa

Mar 27, 2011
Providence, RI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you tree! Him accompanying me is really not an option, unless we pushed the date way back, and I don't want to do that! I'm going to use my parents house as my mailing address in the US, they're storing my belongings, and I have their assurance that if turned away or my PR not approved, I can stay with them. (At 35, with a husband, this is not an attractive option, but I'm lucky to have it!) At least they'll be with me, too, and can vouch for that, plus I'll show that financially I can afford to come back and support myself for a bit.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
If you are unable to complete the application prior to coming to Canada I would suggest that you pay the application fee's and have the receipt with you - that way you can prove that you intend to submit the application.

:)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Always remember, there is never a full guarantee when dealing with immigration, or crossing the border is involved.