+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada when applied for visitor visa extension

prasadsh

Nov 15, 2017
Hello,
I have applied for the extension of my mother 's visitor visa before 40 days of her expiration of 6 months stay. Currently the status of the application is 'Under processing'. Can my mother stay beyond 6 months if the response of the application is not received till the last day of the six months? If yes, till how long can she stay?
If she stayed beyond 6 months and the extension is refused when does she need to return?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello,
I have applied for the extension of my mother 's visitor visa before 40 days of her expiration of 6 months stay. Currently the status of the application is 'Under processing'. Can my mother stay beyond 6 months if the response of the application is not received till the last day of the six months? If yes, till how long can she stay?
If she stayed beyond 6 months and the extension is refused when does she need to return?
Your mom is currently under 'Implied Status' and can stay until she receives a decision on her extension application. It does not matter that the initial stay of 6 months (from the date of entry) has passed.

If refused, she must leave as soon as possible i.e. within 30 days max

Dominica

Star Member
Feb 23, 2010
Hello,
WE TOO HAVE APPLIED FOR EXTENSION ON MEDICAL GROUNDS HOWEVER SHE HAS NOT YET COMPLETED HER SIX MONTHS OF STAY HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WAITING AFTER REQUESTING FOR A EXTENSION.

prasadsh

Nov 15, 2017
My mom also has not completed six months yet. So she is still in Temporary Resident Status. I have applied for the extension around 40 days prior to completing 6 months.
My only concern is the 30 days period for returning in case of refusal of extension by law? Even if it is rejected due to some documentation or any other issue and the rejection is received after six months, can she stay for 30 days? Can there be any legal consequences if she waits for 30 days to leave or she needs to leave as soon as the refusal or rejection is received?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mom also has not completed six months yet. So she is still in Temporary Resident Status. I have applied for the extension around 40 days prior to completing 6 months.
My only concern is the 30 days period for returning in case of refusal of extension by law? Even if it is rejected due to some documentation or any other issue and the rejection is received after six months, can she stay for 30 days? Can there be any legal consequences if she waits for 30 days to leave or she needs to leave as soon as the refusal or rejection is received?
She can stay for 30 days. However, it would be better if she leaves earlier than the 30 days.

Think positively. She just might get approved :)