+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada during a PR process

Frecuencia

May 17, 2013
Hi,

I entered Canada almost 2 years ago on a work permit, but I left my job in February and started checking for the Canadian Experience Class application. As far as I can tell, I fulfill all the requirements for the application and already got the paperwork.

What happens is that my visa and work permit expire on July 1st. Can I apply for the PR inland and wait for an answer, can I get an open work permit in the meantime and if so, what should I do about my visa status? Because leaving the country would mean a big spending with all my belongings and plane tickets just to wait for a few weeks in case I should leave the country to get another visa.

Do I have other options?

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
January 10, 2014 (received 22/01/14)
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
Frecuencia said:
Hi,

I entered Canada almost 2 years ago on a work permit, but I left my job in February and started checking for the Canadian Experience Class application. As far as I can tell, I fulfill all the requirements for the application and already got the paperwork.

What happens is that my visa and work permit expire on July 1st. Can I apply for the PR inland and wait for an answer, can I get an open work permit in the meantime and if so, what should I do about my visa status? Because leaving the country would mean a big spending with all my belongings and plane tickets just to wait for a few weeks in case I should leave the country to get another visa.

Do I have other options?
Have you looked into the Bridging Open Work Permit (see the BOWP thread here on the forum for more info)? If I were you I'd apply for PR under CEC as soon as possible (yes you can do it within Canada), and then get the BOWP application started.

Frecuencia

May 17, 2013
Thanks a lot! seems like exactly what I need in my case.

But what about the visa? Do I re-issue one after I have been approved for the BOWP?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LCM21 said:
Have you looked into the Bridging Open Work Permit (see the BOWP thread here on the forum for more info)? If I were you I'd apply for PR under CEC as soon as possible (yes you can do it within Canada), and then get the BOWP application started.
1. Except that the OP has not applied, so would not have a valid work permit when To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, you must:
Have received confirmation from CIC that your permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four economic classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP), and;
Have made an application for an open work permit.

PA1984

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True so apply for PR under CEC category get AOR and apply for BOWP. Then apply for TRV if necessary

LCM21

May 1, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2013
AOR Received.
June 13, 2013
Med's Request
December 13, 2013
Med's Done....
January 10, 2014 (received 22/01/14)
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 21, 2014
LANDED..........
February 8, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. Except that the OP has not applied, so would not have a valid work permit when To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, you must:
Have received confirmation from CIC that your permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four economic classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP), and;
Have made an application for an open work permit.
Yes, I recommended applying for PR (under CEC) first and then the BOWP...