+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying in Canada after IEC?

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Shortly; I'm in Canada under IEC work visa which expires 24th July. I have got AOR & AOR1 and waiting for OWP (family class inland).
Along with inland application & OWP I have also applied for TRV for 6 months to remain in Canada with legal status while waiting OWP and yesterday I got my whole TRV package and passport back with a letter. It says they don't process my application because I am a national of a visa-exempt country. And they will refund processing fees.
Can someone explain to me what that exactly means? Can I just remain in Canada after my current IEC visa expiresy? For 6 months. I am very confused because I thought I need to change my worker status to visitor.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Did you use the apply to stay in canada route ? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

You should not really stay beyond the IEC expiry given your PR application has not yet it appears reached a stage where you stay pending a decision. The apply to extend stay route should work for visa exempt as people extend as visitor after IEC frequently although time is against you now with a July 24th expiry so worst case you may have to even consider going to US and back again although of course no guarantee you will be allowed back in for 6 months. Others can comment on best course of action.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rmv said:
Shortly; I'm in Canada under IEC work visa which expires 24th July. I have got AOR & AOR1 and waiting for OWP (family class inland).
Along with inland application & OWP I have also applied for TRV for 6 months to remain in Canada with legal status while waiting OWP and yesterday I got my whole TRV package and passport back with a letter. It says they don't process my application because I am a national of a visa-exempt country. And they will refund processing fees.
Can someone explain to me what that exactly means? Can I just remain in Canada after my current IEC visa expiresy? For 6 months. I am very confused because I thought I need to change my worker status to visitor.
You are visa-EXEMPT, hence you do NOT require a visa (TRV) to be in Canada. You should have applied to change your condition to visitor STATUS, not for a TRV which you aren't eligible for.

Anyways you've already submitted your request for extension in the form of the OWP along with your inland app. So once your IEC expires, thanks to your OWP app you will then be on automatic implied status until you get your OWP, so can legally remain in Canada without doing anything else.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Rob_TO said:
You are visa-EXEMPT, hence you do NOT require a visa (TRV) to be in Canada. You should have applied to change your condition to visitor STATUS, not for a TRV which you aren't eligible for.

Anyways you've already submitted your request for extension in the form of the OWP along with your inland app. So once your IEC expires, thanks to your OWP app you will then be on automatic implied status until you get your OWP, so can legally remain in Canada without doing anything else.
I looked my papers again and I used IMM5708 Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor.
And choosed x Initial temporary resident permit.

Letter says "thank you for interest for a temporary resident visa. I applied temporary resident permit as a visitor. I am so confused of these visas and permits. So did I used a right form, not actually TRV, but TRP?

PaulaG

Dec 26, 2015
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
w/ app
rmv said:
I looked my papers again and I used IMM5708 Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor.

Letter says "thank you for interest for a temporary resident visa. I applied temporary resident permit as a visitor. I am so confused of these visas and permits. So did I used a right form, not actually TRV, but TRP?
My guess is that it has to do with choosing 'initial TRP' instead of whatever the 'change status' option is, including an extension ... it makes perfect sense to CIC i bet.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
PaulaG said:
My guess is that it has to do with choosing 'initial TRP' instead of whatever the 'change status' option is, including an extension ... it makes perfect sense to CIC i bet.
There is not other option I could choose; only extension and restoration.
When I try to upload this IMM5708 form to myCIC online, it says:

To apply for a temporary resident permit, please complete the application on paper and submit it to a CIC office. When applying online, please ensure that the checkbox titled "initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit" is not checked on the application form.

Why I can't apply online? I can't validate form if I don't choose something in that.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rmv said:

As i stated, it's irrelevant now to you since by submitting your OWP app you've already applied to change your status and don't need to worry anymore after your IEC expires.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Rob_TO said:
As i stated, it's irrelevant now to you since by submitting your OWP app you've already applied to change your status and don't need to worry anymore after your IEC expires.
Never know if they reject PR & OWP application, so I would like to have a visitor status while waiting.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rmv said:
Never know if they reject PR & OWP application, so I would like to have a visitor status while waiting.

I think the fee is still $100 for simply extension/change of status request. And in the form 5708 you should choose "Extension of my temporary resident status".

I would double check all this in the INLAND thread, as I'm sure a number of other visa-exempt applicants there have also gone through this process.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Rob_TO said:
I think the fee is still $100 for simply extension/change of status request. And in the form 5708 you should choose "Extension of my temporary resident status".

I would double check all this in the INLAND thread, as I'm sure a number of other visa-exempt applicants there have also gone through this process.
So not Initial temporary resident permit? Because I am currently with IEC work permit which I can't extend. So I have thought I need to change my status from worker to visitor (a new permit).

Temporary resident permit fee is $200
And Visitor Visa $ 100. I do apply change my status to visitor, but not for visitor visa. I called to CIC and got absolutely nothing information.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rmv said:
So not Initial temporary resident permit? Because I am currently with IEC work permit which I can't extend. So I have thought I need to change my status from worker to visitor (a new permit).

Temporary resident permit fee is $200
And Visitor Visa $ 100. I do apply change my status to visitor, but not for visitor visa. I called to CIC and got absolutely nothing information.
Right, again you don't qualify for a TRV or TRP. You need visitor status.

Your visa-exempt passport allows you to enter Canada without a visa/permit as a visitor. However visa-exempt passport holders must get a valid work permit to work.

So in short while working, yes you required a work permit.
But for just staying as a visitor, you don't need a permit or visa, all you need is valid status.