+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay PR or apply for Citizenship?

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Hi I would like some opinions on whether or not to stay as PR or apply for citizenship.

The PR process was extremely nerve wracking for me as I have an anxiety disorder and although I had no reason to believe I would be denied, I spent the last few months in a state of panic worrying about all the possible "what ifs" and what could go wrong or lead to somehow a denial. Again I had no logical reason to expect a denial, it was simply my anxiety disorder run amok.

I am a housewife but I file my taxes every year showing 0 income. I have taken two three week trips outside of Canada (once to visit family, the other to move my belongings to Canada via Uhaul).

I'm curious how those of you experienced applying for PR vs applying for citizenship, particularly those with anxious dispostions. If you chose to apply for citizenship was the process easier or harder than PR? If you chose not to apply, what was your reasoning?

I feel that applying and receiving citizenship could relieve my anxiety of ever possibly being deported (although I don't ever plan on committing a crime or not meeting my residency requirements). However I am not sure if the citizenship application process is as intense or nerve wracking as the PR experience was for me.

I am not sure how my anxiety could effect my mental health and if I would be coming up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios such as "What if I get denied because I filed tax returns but never paid taxes? What if I get denied because I checked the wrong box or answer a question wrong and am deemed as applying misrepresentationally?"

In summation I am just curious whether most people find the citizenship application more mentally taxing than the PR application. Secondarily for those with anxiety conditions I am curious what decision you made—to stay as a PR or to go forward with a citizenship application.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Better see a doctor or get some counselling and then decide...These kind of questions you can't ask from people on forums!

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Wow, I was somehow under the impression that if your citizenship application is denied that your PR is also revoked.

I am so glad to learn that is not the case as that was the biggest pre-anxiety I have had about the process.

My PR app was straightforward and I did it on my own (no need for a lawyer). Additionally there are no immigration lawyers in this part of Canada so there is no one to explain to me things like that I would not lose PR if my citizen application was denied.

Since I've only been out of the country for 37 days, my application should be as straightforward as they come. I have no reason to expect any problems; it is simply the anxiety, which I get when an important decision gets taken out of my control.

Thank you so much for pointing out that applying for citizenship doesn't turn my PR status into a "do or die situation."
Its absolutely right that if the event of being denied citizenship, you'll still keep your PR. I think you should go for it and get it over with, the forms are pretty easy, you have an easy application with very few absences to document, no long list of jobs for them to check in to, no tax records for them to check in to. I think your application is about as straight forward as they come and apart from the cost of applying, you have nothing to lose and no reason whatsoever to think that you wouldn't get it.
What part of Canada do you live in?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I'm curious how those of you experienced applying for PR vs applying for citizenship, particularly those with anxious dispostions. If you chose to apply for citizenship was the process easier or harder than PR? If you chose not to apply, what was your reasoning?
I know you got all the answers you need, but thought this might encourage you more: I've recently applied for Citizenship and got "decision made" in exactly 3 months and 3 days after applying, after filling the forms everything went smooth - no additional documents/or anything else was requested, citizenship interview with the officer was also straight forward and very pleasant. I would strongly encourage you to apply.

PR isn't a permanent status unfortunately as you will always have to count and keep record of days spend abroad + you'll go through the PR renewal process anyway at some point if you don't become a citizen. Better to go through citizenship process and get done with it once and for all.

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
I know you got all the answers you need, but thought this might encourage you more: I've recently applied for Citizenship and got "decision made" in exactly 3 months and 3 days after applying, after filling the forms everything went smooth - no additional documents/or anything else was requested, citizenship interview with the officer was also straight forward and very pleasant. I would strongly encourage you to apply.

PR isn't a permanent status unfortunately as you will always have to count and keep record of days spend abroad + you'll go through the PR renewal process anyway at some point if you don't become a citizen. Better to go through citizenship process and get done with it once and for all.
^^^Exactly This^^^

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
And I may add that the PR card renewal process is basically identical to the citizenship process, minus the exam and proof of language proficiency.
If you'll end up filing forms where you'll specify your work history and your absences from Canada in all cases, be it for something new maybe ? ^^

Reactions: EndRacism2018

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Apply for Citizenship if you want it, then just stop checking online forums etc, there is nothing to get worried about man. You need to enter stock market and trading to see what real stress is lol

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Ok OK you guys have sold me on it. Sounds like a way less stressful process than PR apps. I'm in!

And I may add that the PR card renewal process is basically identical to the citizenship process, minus the exam and proof of language proficiency.
If you'll end up filing forms where you'll specify your work history and your absences from Canada in all cases, be it for something new maybe ? ^^

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Hi I would like some opinions on whether or not to stay as PR or apply for citizenship.

The PR process was extremely nerve wracking for me as I have an anxiety disorder and although I had no reason to believe I would be denied, I spent the last few months in a state of panic worrying about all the possible "what ifs" and what could go wrong or lead to somehow a denial. Again I had no logical reason to expect a denial, it was simply my anxiety disorder run amok.

I am a housewife but I file my taxes every year showing 0 income. I have taken two three week trips outside of Canada (once to visit family, the other to move my belongings to Canada via Uhaul).

I feel that applying and receiving citizenship could relieve my anxiety of ever possibly being deported (although I don't ever plan on committing a crime or not meeting my residency requirements). However I am not sure if the citizenship application process is as intense or nerve wracking as the PR experience was for me.

I am not sure how my anxiety could effect my mental health and if I would be coming up with all sorts of "what if" scenarios such as "What if I get denied because I filed tax returns but never paid taxes? What if I get denied because I checked the wrong box or answer a question wrong and am deemed as applying misrepresentationally?"

In summation I am just curious whether most people find the citizenship application more mentally taxing than the PR application. Secondarily for those with anxiety conditions I am curious what decision you made—to stay as a PR or to go forward with a citizenship application.

I do not have any anxiety issues, but I did not see the need to apply for citizenship for quite a long time. I applied after 9 years of permanent residency.

My main reasons were:
PR needs renewal every 5 years and you need to always be careful to fulfill the requirements. I travel a lot and I was worried that I might come close to not fulfilling the minimum amount of days I have to stay in Canada.
Also, I had a sense of wanting to belong. I lived for most of my life abroad and was never allowed to vote in federal elections. It came to a point we’re I felt like this permanent alien, with not full rights but full obligations.
Anyhow, the process is MUCH easier! Just send in your paperwork and lean back and wait. Once it it over, it is over for good.
Best of luck
Stef.

Reactions: Kohl

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........

Applying for citizenship feels good a step ahead and more freedom. Because you dnt need so much receipts or day counting anymore. You really dnt have to do anything till u are contacted for your test anyway

Reactions: Kohl