+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stay outside Canada as an international student

saqib548

Jul 18, 2020
Dear all,
For how long an international student (I mean someone on study permit) can stay outside Canada during his/her study?
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear all,
For how long an international student (I mean someone on study permit) can stay outside Canada during his/her study?
Thanks
Well you don’t need a study permit if you are outside Canada. So you never have to come to Canada if studying online. You will not get a PGWP.

Reactions: Buletruck

saqib548

Jul 18, 2020
Dear, I am have a study permit. My question is that how long I can stay outside Canada if I am international study holding study permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear, I am have a study permit. My question is that how long I can stay outside Canada if I am international study holding study permit.
As I said, you never have to come to Canada. If you can complete your studies outside Canada then you never need to come. You aren’t explaining your situation so what is it? When does permit expire? Are you studying now or ever have in Canada? Have studies started and plan to enter?

Last edited:

saqib548

Jul 18, 2020
I am a full-time student in a research-based program, and I have been mostly working remotely. I have been outside Canada for the last 4 months and would like to further extend my stay. I am concerned about whether this would cause any issues at the airport or during immigration?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a full-time student in a research-based program, and I have been mostly working remotely. I have been outside Canada for the last 4 months and would like to further extend my stay. I am concerned about whether this would cause any issues at the airport or during immigration?
If your study permit has not expired then I don’t see the issue of coming to Canada when you want. You just need to show that tuition has been paid and you are registered full time. You can study outside of Canada for as long as you want. You don’t even need a study permit. If study permit is expiring then you cannot extend outside Canada. You may not be eligible for a PGWP with studying outside Canada but have to check the rules.

Deep_1486

Jan 7, 2024
Dear all,

I am a full time student in Canada and was in between second semester when my Mother-In-Law passed away on 16th Oct,2023 and I had to travel back to India on 21st Oct,2023 for the rituals as my wife is the single child of her parents. My college was considered enough to defer my semester for the next intake even though I completed half of my semester as it started on 29th Aug,2023. My Study permit is valid till 31st March,2024 and I got a new LOA from the college showing my semester start date as 2nd Jan,2024. My TRV expired on 30th Sep,2023 so I applied for a new TRV on 15th Nov,2023 after I came to India. However, I have not received any update for the TRV for me to travel back to Canada and resume my classes. My college provided a support letter too explaining I had to defer my semester due to Family emergency that I attached while applying for my TRV. I got a new job in Canada after I came to India and the employer gave a letter explaining I am expected to return to Canada ASAP.

I have raised multiple webforms explaining my situation but still I have not heard back from IRCC. Please suggest whatelse can I do as my college is going to provide limited grace period for me to resume my course. I need help!!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear all,

I am a full time student in Canada and was in between second semester when my Mother-In-Law passed away on 16th Oct,2023 and I had to travel back to India on 21st Oct,2023 for the rituals as my wife is the single child of her parents. My college was considered enough to defer my semester for the next intake even though I completed half of my semester as it started on 29th Aug,2023. My Study permit is valid till 31st March,2024 and I got a new LOA from the college showing my semester start date as 2nd Jan,2024. My TRV expired on 30th Sep,2023 so I applied for a new TRV on 15th Nov,2023 after I came to India. However, I have not received any update for the TRV for me to travel back to Canada and resume my classes. My college provided a support letter too explaining I had to defer my semester due to Family emergency that I attached while applying for my TRV. I got a new job in Canada after I came to India and the employer gave a letter explaining I am expected to return to Canada ASAP.

I have raised multiple webforms explaining my situation but still I have not heard back from IRCC. Please suggest whatelse can I do as my college is going to provide limited grace period for me to resume my course. I need help!!
There is not much you can do. You only applied on November 15 and with the holidays there is a backlog. If classes have started then are you doing courses online. You still need TRV approval and stamping.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,
Thanks
The bigger issue is whether you are counting on qualifying for PGWP, whether you need Canadian work experience (if abroad you couldn’t count work grading papers for example as Canadian work experience.), you may no longer qualify for health coverage if you have not met the residency obligation and have to reapply, staying abroad can have an impact on your residency and tax residency status. How much time did you spend studying in Canada before leaving to study while abroad? Do you still have a home in Canada? How much longer do you want to spend abroad? Are you trying to qualify for PGWP?

GV-Patiala

Jul 2, 2021
There is not much you can do. You only applied on November 15 and with the holidays there is a backlog. If classes have started then are you doing courses online. You still need TRV approval and stamping.
I am in the same situation. I extended my study permit in November and had to come back to India in 2nd week of December due to some family reasons. My TRV expired on 31st December 2023. I applied for new TRV on 13 December. I am currently waiting to hear back.