greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm about to sponsor my common-law partner. Do I need to fill out the "Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union" form?
I thought it might be a good idea, as it helps a bit to prove that our relationship is genuine. But the guide says you only need to fill it out, if the common-law partner is the co-sponsor. Also, we are currently (temporarily) residing in Korea, so I wont really be able to complete this till I/we get back since it needs the signature of a comissioner of oaths?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You HAVE to fill out that form it is included in the application package of common-law sponsorship plus get 2 notarized statement

lagunabeachbabe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in my understanding you need to fill up the statutory of common law union only if your common law partner is your co signer

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lagunabeachbabe said:
in my understanding you need to fill up the statutory of common law union only if your common law partner is your co signer
that is a form that u sign declaring to the government u are common law so its a need to be filled out
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5409E.PDF

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ked, the top of the form says to read the guide before filling it out. The guide actually says that you only have to fill it out if your common-law partner is the co-signer. I'm just wondering if I'll have a benefit (i.e. proving the genuity of our relationship) from filling it out, even if I dont necessarily need to.
Also, does it necessarily need to be a Commisioner of oaths who signs it? Or is it OK to just have it notarized by a lawyer or such? Not really sure what a commisioner of oaths actually is, I guess I should research that :)

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it looks like u dont need to complete it I was mixing it up with the notarized statements

I believe you would complete this form if you were sponsoring someone and you are using your spouse as a co-signer so based on that u dont need to complete this form since this is your common-law application

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
There has been some confusion about this form both from applicants AND the cic. Even though the directions say you only need to fill it if you are both co-signing to sponsor another family member, several forum members have reported being asked for this form in spousal applications as well.

I suggest filling it and getting it signed and attaching a sticky note saying you were unclear whether or not it was required in your case. That way they already have it if they think they need it.

To the OP, you should be able to find a Notary Public (or whatever Korea's version of this is) to sign this. It doesn't have to be just a "Commissioner of Oaths".

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AllisonVSC said:
There has been some confusion about this form both from applicants AND the cic. Even though the directions say you only need to fill it if you are both co-signing to sponsor another family member, several forum members have reported being asked for this form in spousal applications as well.

I suggest filling it and getting it signed and attaching a sticky note saying you were unclear whether or not it was required in your case. That way they already have it if they think they need it.

To the OP, you should be able to find a Notary Public (or whatever Korea's version of this is) to sign this. It doesn't have to be just a "Commissioner of Oaths".
Thanks AllisonVSC, it is indeed a very confusing form! But I agree, better to just get it filled in than to risk having everything delayed when they request it later.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've argued this point with CIC regarding this form not being included in the checklist. However, they can ask for whatever they want during the processing of the application. So take everyone's advice and complete the Declaration and send it with your application package. If you don't, they will probably ask for it later. If you are applying through Buffalo, they will DEFINITELY ask for it later, checklist or no checklist. Just do it.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
I've argued this point with CIC regarding this form not being included in the checklist.
Actually, it is included in the checklist now =) However, the checklist says you only need it if your common-law partner is the co-signer,
Anyhow, I agree, better to include it right away before they ask for it later!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
greenish said:
Actually, it is included in the checklist now =) However, the checklist says you only need it if your common-law partner is the co-signer,
Anyhow, I agree, better to include it right away before they ask for it later!
Well that was kind of my point. Spousal sponsorships don't include a co-signer so it is not a requirement on the checklist. That's what I meant by "not included". Semantics. But anyway, you made the right choice.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This question might sound stupid but I'm kind of stuck because of this.
The form reads "We, (declarant) and (declarant's partner) of (city) in (Province) in the country of (Country), solemnly declare ...."
My common-law partner is currently residing in Korea and I'm in Korea visiting her. However, for the longest time we have been living in Canada and are only temporary in Korea.
When we fill out the declaration form, do I fill it out as if we were both living in Canada? Or do I fill it with our current (temporary) living situation?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We spent the first 9 months in The Philippines and the last 3 months traveling through several countries so we just put where we resided the longest which is The Philippines

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once again I'm trying to understand this form but can't make any sense of the top line :(
With out any explanation as to what these boxes refer to, there's a box which reads 'Country' and one that reads 'Province/State/Territory'. Right above these boxes it says '(if applicable)'. I have no idea what I'm supposed to put in these boxes. The location where we are getting this declaration signed? The location we usually reside at? Nothing?
Any ideas are appreciated!

Louise86

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2011
AOR Received.
15-12-11
File Transfer...
13-01-12
Med's Done....
12/10/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-03-12 (Decision Made)
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-12 (COPR arrived in post)
LANDED..........
Landing on 28/05/2012
My partner and I are also applying common-law and we knew that this form wasn't needed (unless your partner was the co-signer), but we included it anyway. Although, I do know of people who also applied common-law and didn't include it, yet were still approved with no problems.

greenish said:
This question might sound stupid but I'm kind of stuck because of this.
The form reads "We, (declarant) and (declarant's partner) of (city) in (Province) in the country of (Country), solemnly declare ...."
My common-law partner is currently residing in Korea and I'm in Korea visiting her. However, for the longest time we have been living in Canada and are only temporary in Korea.
When we fill out the declaration form, do I fill it out as if we were both living in Canada? Or do I fill it with our current (temporary) living situation?
Boracay said:
We spent the first 9 months in The Philippines and the last 3 months traveling through several countries so we just put where we resided the longest which is The Philippines
I agree with Boracay - I would list the place that you lived the longest (Canada), and attach a sticky note explaining your situation and give the dates that you have lived in Korea.

Best of luck :)