+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status of spouse's open work permit if I lose my job

peoplesoft

Jan 31, 2013
Hi,
I right now have a valid closed work permit (valid till end of 2015). My wife, who came here with me on TRV, now has an open work permit (she got it based on my closed work permit). We have also already applied for our PR under the CEC.

I know this much that if I lose my job, I will not be able to work for any other employer without a fresh LMO and a new work permit.
What I want to know is, what would happen to my wife's open work permit in such situation (i.e me losing my job)? will it be considered cancelled as well?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Both yours and your wife's permits will be valid until their expiry dates or until you get new permits with different conditions. So, if you loose your job, her permit will still be valid.

angeland

Sep 19, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

No, as the OP's work permit doesn't expire within 4 months.
I see, so if a CEC applicant who holds a 2-year WP loses/quits the job, s/he has to find another employer for LMO or stay unemployed till the WP expires within 4 months? that's kind of harsh.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

angeland said:
I see, so if a CEC applicant who holds a 2-year WP loses/quits the job, s/he has to find another employer for LMO or stay unemployed till the WP expires within 4 months? that's kind of harsh.
Yup.

shabut

Sep 11, 2019
This is not a reply but the same question as the starting one on the thread...asking it again since the original was post 5 years back.
I am on closed WP while my spouse who came with me to Canada as a dependent got an Open WP. Both of us are working. My kids have Study permits.

If for some reason my work contract is terminated then
1a) Is my spouse's Open WP still valid till its expiry?
1b) If yes, can she keep working or switch jobs?

2a) Will my kid's study permit be valid?
2b) Can they keep studying in public school?

3a) Can I stay back in Canada?
3b) If yes, can I work only after I acquire another job and a closed WP from the new employer?
3c) If I move out of country (after my contract termination with original employer), can I come in based on closed WP (with employer who terminated my contract) validity or do I need visitor?