+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status after receiving ITA

Pitlord

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Hi guys,

My friend from work is in special situation. His work visa expires in March 2017. He is still not in a pool but he calculates that they will award him with 490 points. How? I don't know. He didn't even do an English language test.

Before his work visa expires he will apply for visitor's visa and get into the pool by creating the cic profile.

Here is where it becomes confusing. He said that when he gets invited he will be issued with new work visa while waiting. As we can see, processing times vary from 6 to 10 months.

From what I know, if you apply for a different status, you keep the status that you had before the decision is made about your request regardless of expiry date.

Is he in denial? Is he going to keep visitor's visa until he gets pr or are they really going to give him new work permit while he is waiting, so he can continue to work legally?

Thanks in advance.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
He's in denial. If he applies and is granted a visits visa he can't work. He could try and apply for a bridging open work permit but he would have had to have submitted his application before his work permit expires.

He has to do his language tests and ECA asap. Otherwise he will likely end up having to leave Canada.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Pitlord said:
My friend from work is in special situation. His work visa expires in March 2017. He is still not in a pool but he calculates that they will award him with 490 points. How? I don't know. He didn't even do an English language test.

Before his work visa expires he will apply for visitor's visa and get into the pool by creating the cic profile.

Here is where it becomes confusing. He said that when he gets invited he will be issued with new work visa while waiting. As we can see, processing times vary from 6 to 10 months.

From what I know, if you apply for a different status, you keep the status that you had before the decision is made about your request regardless of expiry date.

Is he in denial? Is he going to keep visitor's visa until he gets pr or are they really going to give him new work permit while he is waiting, so he can continue to work legally?
No, there is no automatic work permit for people who have applied for PR. If he is intending to apply under EE, then he will not be eligible for the Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under the circumstances you described.

To be eligible for the BOWP, he would need to have a valid work permit at the time of application. And he cannot apply for the BOWP until he submits the PR application (after he submits his profile, his profile is accepted into the pool, and he receives an ITA).

You can show your friend the rules for the BOWP -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp