+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment and Marriage Search

PapeCancer

Jul 20, 2012
I am a Canadian citizen and I am currently living in BC. I would apply for Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment in order to get married in Vietnam this September.I read all instructions about this document in government website international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?

However, I have few concerns so far :

1. "You must provide a statutory declaration stating your present marital status ". Can this be replaced by marriage search which is found here vs.gov.bc.ca/genealogy/geneal_serch_marit_recrd.html

If not, How should I obtain this statutory declaration ? Would marriage search be necessary for application package

2. Should I enclose any letter to officer ?

3. This is our first marriage . Is it easier/faster to apply for Statement In Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment

Sorry I cannot post link so just copy and paste to your address bar. Thank you for your help!

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
A statutory declaration is a letter written by you declaring that there is no reason to refrain from getting married.

I am not sure the exact same thing applies to you, but when I got married(in Egypt), I took a letter I wrote in English, and in Arabic (both on the same page ). I had that letter authenticated at the Canadian Embassy, then took it to be legalized at the ministry of foreign affairs, then back to the Canadian Embassy.

Have you looked at the Vietnam Embassy webpage and or made any calls to ask about it? They should be able to confirm if this process is the same or what it is that is required to marry a foreigner there.

Take Care
MadeInCanada

Found this hope it helps.

http://www.helplinelaw.com/article/vietnam/394

From my understanding it is very similar to what I had to do, but done in Canada. I think the marriage search you are talking about would help. But, writing a letter and getting it notarized will do.

6 An authenticated statement from the local registrar of marriage documents from your state of residence attesting to the fact that there is no record of a previous marriage in your state of residence for two years.