+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup experience in EE profile

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
Hi

I am in the process of applying for Canadian Visa under Federal Skilled Worker Program. I am currently filling all details in Express Entry (EE) profile.

My Work Experience:
I worked in an IT company for 2.5 years as a software engineer (till May 2014). I can arrange for the reference letters from this company.
After I quit this company, I started my own company which is into mobile app/software development. I co-founded this company with my friend in May 2014. Both of us are the directors of this private limited firm and working full-time. Now, we have grown into a team of 11 full-time employees. My job responsibilities include Android/iOS development, testing, product management etc. I have been withdrawing salary from this company and filing ITR regularly.

Now my question is how should I include this work experience in EE profile? Is this a job or self-employed? I can easily get the reference letter from my co-founder. Any help would be appreciated.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi

I am in the process of applying for Canadian Visa under Federal Skilled Worker Program. I am currently filling all details in Express Entry (EE) profile.

My Work Experience:
I worked in an IT company for 2.5 years as a software engineer (till May 2014). I can arrange for the reference letters from this company.
After I quit this company, I started my own company which is into mobile app/software development. I co-founded this company with my friend in May 2014. Both of us are the directors of this private limited firm and working full-time. Now, we have grown into a team of 11 full-time employees. My job responsibilities include Android/iOS development, testing, product management etc. I have been withdrawing salary from this company and filing ITR regularly.

Now my question is how should I include this work experience in EE profile? Is this a job or self-employed? I can easily get the reference letter from my co-founder. Any help would be appreciated.
If you are an employee in this company and paying your taxes separately, then you can mention this as experience.

Reactions: varunlibra3

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,

I submitted my EE profile showing the designation at my own company as 'Software Engineer - Tech Lead'. I have been working here since May 2014. My designation in previous IT company is mentioned as 'Senior Software Engineer'. NOC is 2173
I got the ITA in previous draw.

How should I get the reference letter written by my co-founder? Should it include only my role as a 'software engineer' or it should mention other roles/responsibilities also?
Is there a need to explain in LOE about how I co-founded a software company and now I am performing all kinds of tasks here?

pizzaboy99

Apr 3, 2018
Will be valid.
Based on what? Only reference letters from HR or immediate supervisor are valid. A co-founder is neither.

should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company)
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s04

Reactions: Sherry9661

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
Hi

My co-founder is the one who handles HR operations, recruitment, onboarding, employee payroll, attendance etc. I am the one handling our engineering team. So I think a letter from him would be sufficient.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
HR and managers are OK but for all other positions such as colleagues or cofounders, it is entirely under the discretion of the VO to accept or reject it.
This can be detailed in LOE and a reference letter from a colleague can be provided.

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
Another question related to this. I am thinking of changing the job title as 'Director - Engineering' instead of 'Software Engineer - Tech Lead'. The roles and responsibilities remain the same on the reference letter, only the title changes.
Would that be fine?

mulzi

Star Member
Jul 19, 2017
Another question related to this. I am thinking of changing the job title as 'Director - Engineering' instead of 'Software Engineer - Tech Lead'. The roles and responsibilities remain the same on the reference letter, only the title changes.
Would that be fine?
Make sure you meet the requirements described in the NOC (eg you have at least 3 years of experience for senior positions). CIC will raise red flags if they see you rising in job titles without any logical explanation.

The fact that you run your own company reduces the credibility. You should also get some references from vendors, client recommendations, employees etc. Basically evidence to show that this is a legitimate company with legitimate business activities.

Reactions: Sherry9661

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
Make sure you meet the requirements described in the NOC (eg you have at least 3 years of experience for senior positions). CIC will raise red flags if they see you rising in job titles without any logical explanation.

The fact that you run your own company reduces the credibility. You should also get some references from vendors, client recommendations, employees etc. Basically evidence to show that this is a legitimate company with legitimate business activities.

This can be detailed in LOE and a reference letter from a colleague can be provided.
I guess I will go with 'Software Engineer - Tech Lead' as title on the reference letter.

One last question:
Should I mention my company's history in the LOE? like how I co-founded this, how it grew?
I am sure if they google our company's name, they will get a good idea about the success and work that we have done in the field of mobile app/software development.