+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting University, how long does it take to get PR? If u get married does it shorten the Process?

John Mathews

Apr 12, 2018
Hi,
I live in Saskatchewan and planing to get married to someone from the U.K. They want to start university in September of 2019 We were wondering how long the process is for getting permanent residence because we are worried about the international fees and to my knowledge permanent residence dont pay international fees.
If we get married will the process change (get faster)? Or if a family member of theirs that lives here sponsors them will that change anything?
Any help I could get with this would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assume sponsorship will take 12 months. You need to be either married or common law to sponsor. Common law means you have lived together at least one full year continuously and can prove it.

The family member most likely can't sponsor them. You would need to provide detailed information about who the family member is and what family members they have - as well as information about the person being sponsored (e.g. age, etc.).

John Mathews

Apr 12, 2018
Assume sponsorship will take 12 months. You need to be either married or common law to sponsor. Common law means you have lived together at least one full year continuously and can prove it.

The family member most likely can't sponsor them. You would need to provide detailed information about who the family member is and what family members they have - as well as information about the person being sponsored (e.g. age, etc.).
So if they have close relative like an aunt or uncle that wouldnt work? And if not would getting PR card be easier/faster?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So if they have close relative like an aunt or uncle that wouldnt work? And if not would getting PR card be easier/faster?
Aunt / uncle most likely cannot sponsor them. An aunt (for example) would only be able to sponsor them if that aunt has no husband, no common law partner, no children, both parents are deceased and has no other family members living in Canada.

No - getting PR would not be faster / easier with an aunt and uncle in Canada.

John Mathews

Apr 12, 2018
Aunt / uncle most likely cannot sponsor them. An aunt (for example) would only be able to sponsor them if that aunt has no husband, no common law partner, no children, both parents are deceased and has no other family members living in Canada.

No my question was if they moved to Canada and then we got married then try to get the PR card would that work? If yes can u help me understand the process
Thanks for the help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No my question was if they moved to Canada and then we got married then try to get the PR card would that work? If yes can u help me understand the process
Thanks for the help
Sorry - I don't understand your question.

John Mathews

Apr 12, 2018
Sorry - I don't understand your question.
Okay I am trying to plan ahead, what Im trying to do is get them a permanent residence card before they start university to avoid paying for international fees. I want to know how long it would take for them to get that permanent residence card. I also want to know if getting married would speed the process. I hope that clears things up

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Anticipate 1 year sponsorship no matter what. There will also be concerns how 2 very young students will be able to support themselves without government help. Have these young people had a long relationship history? That will factor into the spousal sponsorship being approved. Obviously not ideal but many young people date long distance while going through university instead of getting married. Could that be an option? You change so much as a person when going from your teens to your twenties. Seems like a drastic move to rush a marriage given you have access to Skype and other means of communication. Even if they could wait until they finish a bachelor's degree they will have matured so much as people.