+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting the process soon--from Colombia

jdt123

Apr 21, 2018
Afternoon folks

So happy I stumbled on this community. It's very reassuring to read such positive, helpful remarks from people genuinely trying to assist.

I am Canadian and currently living in Alberta. My fiancee is Colombian and I am looking to begin the sponsorship process in the summer.

Some quick facts before the questions:

-My income is such that there will be no issues concerning support and providing for an excellent lifestyle

-We are both relatively young (she is 25 I am 31) with no health issues

-She has no criminal history, involvement in the military or political groups, or any of the other red flags

-I have zero criminal history or financial red flags

-We have no children and none of her family is being sponsored

Some questions about best practices:

-Is it advantageous to be legally married prior to the application process? We are going to be married eventually so if marrying prior is advantageous, then we will do that.

-Would an outland or inland application be better? My first impression is that outland would make sense.

-What are the best ways to prove that the relationship is genuine? We have pictures, chat logs, phone logs etc but is there anything else we should furnish in the application?

-The duration of our relationship is relatively short, will that be an issue?

-Given the relative simplicity of our situation (no children, no other family to sponsor etc) is hiring a lawyer/agent worthwhile?

-Documentation that she provides from Colombia must be translated and certified, correct?

-Any other advice that can be given?

Thank you so much for any help. This community is truly inspirational; people from all over the world and all over Canada assisting each other in bringing people together.

Cheers

JT

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
-Is it advantageous to be legally married prior to the application process? We are going to be married eventually so if marrying prior is advantageous, then we will do that.

-Would an outland or inland application be better? My first impression is that outland would make sense.

-What are the best ways to prove that the relationship is genuine? We have pictures, chat logs, phone logs etc but is there anything else we should furnish in the application?

-The duration of our relationship is relatively short, will that be an issue?

-Given the relative simplicity of our situation (no children, no other family to sponsor etc) is hiring a lawyer/agent worthwhile?

-Documentation that she provides from Colombia must be translated and certified, correct?
Hi

1. The most basic requirement of sponsorship is that you be either married or common-law.

2. Does she already have a TRV? If she does and is fine with remaining in Canada throughout the sponsorship process, then you should consider inland, as she would get a work permit within about 3-4 months. If she can't get a TRV or will want to be able to leave Canada without risk during the process, outland is the option.

3. Letters from family/friends, trips together, any proofs of combining your lives.

4. Yes, it certainly could be. How short? What is the relationship history? How did you meet? How much time have you spent together? Speak the same language? Same culture/religion?

5. Don't bother with a lawyer.

6. Official documents not in English or French must be translated and certified.

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
I agree with the above. For these purposes common-law and married are in the same category. An immigration lawyer friend actually advised us not to marry just before sending off the application, because it would possibly raise an eyebrow as being a deliberate ploy just for the PR. (That would be different if we could prove we'd been planning the wedding/booked the venue a year or so ago...).

Inland applications used to be much slower than Outland and work permits would take a long time. They seem to have improved the efficiency of Inland now, so as the poster above says, it just depends on her status if she's already in Canada and whether she'll want to leave within the timeframe.

For relationship proof we gave the 20 photos of us together over the years in different locations, with different people. On the back we wrote the little story behind each one and the date. We sent 8 letters from family and friends, some in Canada, detailing how they'd first met us together, the trips we've had etc. I also printed off a few emails we'd shared at key points in the relationship and during a period of long-distance. We were advised not to overdo it.

To be eligible you have to be in a common law relationship, which means "you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship." (From the website). You'll need to prove this, with things like shared rental agreements and utility bills that can show how much time you have lived together. If you haven't already done so, start collecting anything that can prove you live together.

Agreed, it is straightforward enough to do without a lawyer. We asked our friend a few questions (that you could also find answered on this forum) and then off we went. I would say just follow meticulously what it says to do and take your time - don't rush with the forms and evidence because it will cost you time in the long run if you have made a small mistake (ie wrong digit of date or birth, or forgetting to sign a page).

Good luck!

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
An immigration lawyer friend actually advised us not to marry just before sending off the application, because it would possibly raise an eyebrow as being a deliberate ploy just for the PR. (That would be different if we could prove we'd been planning the wedding/booked the venue a year or so ago...).
Not exactly true. In my case, for example, the application was received in Mississauga within a month after I (Colombian) got married to my wife (Canadian) back in Colombia. People can send the application a week after getting married, that does not matter. What matters is the background, how much time you've been together with your partner, all the proofs you submit, whether it makes sense or not, etc.
I went through the visa office in Bogota, Colombia, and although an interview was required, I passed it and the whole application was finalized in 7 months and a half. At no point getting married and sending the application shortly after that was a concern for the immigration officer, at all. Many, many people send their applications within days of getting married.
The only way it could be suspicious is if there's already something very suspicious in the background, specially in regards to timelines.

Sebeck

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Just relaying what we were told by immig lawyer (who incidentally now works for CIC). We wanted to avoid needing an interview and make it as straightforward as poss.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I agree with the above. For these purposes common-law and married are in the same category. An immigration lawyer friend actually advised us not to marry just before sending off the application, because it would possibly raise an eyebrow as being a deliberate ploy just for the PR. (That would be different if we could prove we'd been planning the wedding/booked the venue a year or so ago...).
As said by JulianaAndrew, it all depends on the relationship history. As you were already common-law, marrying just before applying would have not been seen as negative in any way, even if it was a spontaneous decision without planning.

jdt123

Apr 21, 2018

Inland applications used to be much slower than Outland and work permits would take a long time. They seem to have improved the efficiency of Inland now, so as the poster above says, it just depends on her status if she's already in Canada and whether she'll want to leave within the timeframe.

For relationship proof we gave the 20 photos of us together over the years in different locations, with different people. On the back we wrote the little story behind each one and the date. We sent 8 letters from family and friends, some in Canada, detailing how they'd first met us together, the trips we've had etc. I also printed off a few emails we'd shared at key points in the relationship and during a period of long-distance. We were advised not to overdo it.

To be eligible you have to be in a common law relationship, which means "you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship." (From the website). You'll need to prove this, with things like shared rental agreements and utility bills that can show how much time you have lived together. If you haven't already done so, start collecting anything that can prove you live together.

Agreed, it is straightforward enough to do without a lawyer. We asked our friend a few questions (that you could also find answered on this forum) and then off we went. I would say just follow meticulously what it says to do and take your time - don't rush with the forms and evidence because it will cost you time in the long run if you have made a small mistake (ie wrong digit of date or birth, or forgetting to sign a page).

Good luck!
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Specific to this, do we have to have been together for 12 months prior to applying? It has been less time than that. Does this 12 month requirement only apply to common law relationships or does it apply to licensed marriages as well? As I read it, the 12 month period seems to only apply to common law relationships and for marriages that requirement is absent?

I am almost certain she will have to do an interview to prove the validity of the relationship due to its short tenure but that does not worry me.

By "overdo it" do you mean not inundating them with supporting documents? I have text chat logs, facetime call logs, pictures etc etc (obviously partially redacted for propriety). Is that sufficient or is that overkill?

Thanks

JT

jdt123

Apr 21, 2018
Not exactly true. In my case, for example, the application was received in Mississauga within a month after I (Colombian) got married to my wife (Canadian) back in Colombia. People can send the application a week after getting married, that does not matter. What matters is the background, how much time you've been together with your partner, all the proofs you submit, whether it makes sense or not, etc.
I went through the visa office in Bogota, Colombia, and although an interview was required, I passed it and the whole application was finalized in 7 months and a half. At no point getting married and sending the application shortly after that was a concern for the immigration officer, at all. Many, many people send their applications within days of getting married.
The only way it could be suspicious is if there's already something very suspicious in the background, specially in regards to timelines.
Thank you very much for your reply. Would you be OK if I messaged you privately about your experience in this process? I would very much appreciate it as your situation seems to parallel mine closely!

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
Thank you very much for your reply. Would you be OK if I messaged you privately about your experience in this process? I would very much appreciate it as your situation seems to parallel mine closely!
Sure, message me if you'd like.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Specific to this, do we have to have been together for 12 months prior to applying? It has been less time than that. Does this 12 month requirement only apply to common law relationships or does it apply to licensed marriages as well? As I read it, the 12 month period seems to only apply to common law relationships and for marriages that requirement is absent?

I am almost certain she will have to do an interview to prove the validity of the relationship due to its short tenure but that does not worry me.

By "overdo it" do you mean not inundating them with supporting documents? I have text chat logs, facetime call logs, pictures etc etc (obviously partially redacted for propriety). Is that sufficient or is that overkill?

Thanks

JT
You do not need to have been together for 12 months if you are married.

Interviews can be difficult, even for genuine couples. If you answer the relationship questions I asked in my first post, I could give you better advice.

Read the checklist. Max 20 pictures and 10 pages of communications.

jdt123

Apr 21, 2018
Hi

1. The most basic requirement of sponsorship is that you be either married or common-law.

2. Does she already have a TRV? If she does and is fine with remaining in Canada throughout the sponsorship process, then you should consider inland, as she would get a work permit within about 3-4 months. If she can't get a TRV or will want to be able to leave Canada without risk during the process, outland is the option.

3. Letters from family/friends, trips together, any proofs of combining your lives.

4. Yes, it certainly could be. How short? What is the relationship history? How did you meet? How much time have you spent together? Speak the same language? Same culture/religion?

5. Don't bother with a lawyer.

6. Official documents not in English or French must be translated and certified.
2. TRV is on its way. Work permit is not necessary and I would imagine she would like to go back and forth to see her family. Would be at her discretion.

4. When we apply as a married couple it will be about 6 months. Met on internet. Will have spent about 2-3 months together by the time we apply. Her English is very good. We have lots in common.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
2. TRV is on its way. Work permit is not necessary and I would imagine she would like to go back and forth to see her family. Would be at her discretion.

4. When we apply as a married couple it will be about 6 months. Met on internet. Will have spent about 2-3 months together by the time we apply. Her English is very good. We have lots in common.

Thanks!
6 months is pretty short. It would be better if you held off for awhile after getting married, spent some more time together.

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018

Thanks!
In your case, an interview would be practically guaranteed. Spend more time physically together, gather more evidence and let more time pass. If you rush it, you can expect an interview and possibly a refusal if the interview doesn't go well. Like Canuck said, even genuine couples can have issues with the interviews, and fail them. In addition to that, if you do end up needing an interview, that will delay the application by several months. Based on experience, if your case is very easy and doesn't need an interview, you can easily go from received at Mississauga to passport back with the visa in 5 months, going through Colombia of course.
My personal advise would be, try to avoid the interview, you really don't want to gamble with that. While they are not really a gamble per se, you don't have it guaranteed that your partner will pass it, or that the immigration officer won't think it's a marriage of convenience.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

VUPtoYOW

Star Member
Jan 14, 2018
We are going to apply soon as well, I'm the sponsor, living in Canada, my husband lives in Colombia, feel free to message us if you have any questions.

M

mikeymyke

Thanks!
When you return to Colombia, you should spent some time and propose to her instead, then wait half a year to a year and return there to get married. This way will significantly reduce your chances of getting an interview, especially if you can get your family to attend and hers as well in a traditional ceremony. Your short courtship will definitely raise eyebrows, but good news is since youre not yet married, you have plenty of time to strengthen your case.

You mentioned youre not worried about the interview, but you should, because many genuine couples are refused when the interviewer already made up their mind or if the spouse gets nervous and gives wrong answers. Some people even have their spouses end up not even knowing basic info about themselves, so then they knew their spouse really didnt care to get to know them.

Bottom line is the interview must be avoided at all costs, and lucky for you, there's plenty of time to make this go right for you