+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting from scratch

MavCon68

Oct 18, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen on disability. I want to immigrate to Canada to be with my partner, but I am unsure how to go about it. I've applied for PR before, but the process was stalled and eventually cancelled.
I know that things have changed since I applied last, and I want to be sure that I'm filling out the right type of application for my circumstances so that I'll be able to cross the border without any issues. I can't really afford a lawyer, so my partner and I are putting our heads together to find solutions.
I hope that this forum can provide some helpful avenues to make the process easier.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen on disability. I want to immigrate to Canada to be with my partner, but I am unsure how to go about it. I've applied for PR before, but the process was stalled and eventually cancelled.
I know that things have changed since I applied last, and I want to be sure that I'm filling out the right type of application for my circumstances so that I'll be able to cross the border without any issues. I can't really afford a lawyer, so my partner and I are putting our heads together to find solutions.
I hope that this forum can provide some helpful avenues to make the process easier.
Not enough information to guide you.

Does your partner have status in Canada? If so, what status? PR? Citizenship? Something else?

Are you married or have you lived together for at least one year to become common law?

Why was your previous PR application cancelled? The answer is very important.

MavCon68

Oct 18, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I have been to Canada previously, several years ago now, in a previous relationship. I had applied for PR at that time, but the relationship ended as I was in the middle of the process, so I returned to the U.S. The previous application is now cancelled.
My current partner is a Canadian citizen, living in PEI. We have been together for six months, and I just returned from a visit there last month. I'd like to be able to return there possibly by next summer, if I can get everything done properly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I have been to Canada previously, several years ago now, in a previous relationship. I had applied for PR at that time, but the relationship ended as I was in the middle of the process, so I returned to the U.S. The previous application is now cancelled.
My current partner is a Canadian citizen, living in PEI. We have been together for six months, and I just returned from a visit there last month. I'd like to be able to return there possibly by next summer, if I can get everything done properly.
Your new partner will have to sponsor you for PR. To qualify to sponsor you for PR and submit an application, you must first either get married or live together for a full year continuously to become common law. You should plan that the sponsorship process will take around 12 months to complete after you submit your application (although it could be done faster). You need to move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. This is where you'll find all of the discussions relating to your situation.

MavCon68

Oct 18, 2018
Chicago, IL
Your new partner will have to sponsor you for PR. To qualify to sponsor you for PR and submit an application, you must first either get married or live together for a full year continuously to become common law. You should plan that the sponsorship process will take around 12 months to complete after you submit your application (although it could be done faster). You need to move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. This is where you'll find all of the discussions relating to your situation.
Thank you so much for your advice and direction! I'll do that now.