+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Start working before spouse starts studying.

Oct 10, 2017
Hi,

I got a question that is very tricky and it is bugging me for a while.

This is just a story not necessary reality.

"My spouse got his Open Work permit while I got my Study Permit at the border.
We arrived on February and my college is going to start only on May.

My spouse did some interviews back in march and got a job and started working right away.
Since he had a valid open work permit we saw no problem at all."

So based on this statement, I have heard this type of story many times, I would like to know the following:

1) Was my spouse correct in start working? If no, why? and where in law prohibits him to do that?
2) What are the consequences if we apply for PR in this case?

Note: Open Work Visa is valid for 2 year, Study Visa is valid for 2 years. Study Visa allow possible PGWP.

Everywhere I have searched only tells me the following:
Validity
Work permits may be issued with a validity date to coincide with the spouse’s study permit.

I will appreciate if someone could clarify this question. Since I guess many people will ask this multiple times and I cannot find anything that prohibits him to start working before I actually start studying.

mmespedillon

Oct 13, 2020
Hello. Just wondering if you got any confirmation on your case? I have the same scenario. We arrive 1 month early from the start of my program. Can my husband start his job right away before my classess start?

ch23

May 4, 2021
Hi,

I got a question that is very tricky and it is bugging me for a while.

This is just a story not necessary reality.

"My spouse got his Open Work permit while I got my Study Permit at the border.
We arrived on February and my college is going to start only on May.

My spouse did some interviews back in march and got a job and started working right away.
Since he had a valid open work permit we saw no problem at all."

So based on this statement, I have heard this type of story many times, I would like to know the following:

1) Was my spouse correct in start working? If no, why? and where in law prohibits him to do that?
2) What are the consequences if we apply for PR in this case?

Note: Open Work Visa is valid for 2 year, Study Visa is valid for 2 years. Study Visa allow possible PGWP.

Everywhere I have searched only tells me the following:
Validity
Work permits may be issued with a validity date to coincide with the spouse’s study permit.

I will appreciate if someone could clarify this question. Since I guess many people will ask this multiple times and I cannot find anything that prohibits him to start working before I actually start studying.
Arriving early in Feb, what did the border officer ask you?
Any issues with your wife working earlier?