+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Start Up Visa

rohini54

Jul 18, 2016
I have tried for the express entry but due to low CRS unable to get thru since 2years now. I have an established business in India and wish to take that to Canada. Can someone please help/provide information on angle investors/incubators. How do they support your business. Do they only approval your plan/idea or they also need a stake in the business.

Also if there are any consultants who could assist in applying for this visa it will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Rohini

Mauchan

Star Member
Dec 2, 2017
Hello Rohini,

Unless you already have strong references (or relationships) in the Canadian investor community, it is extremely difficult to get a letter of support from investment groups. You should apply to incubators, but before that you need to ask yourself these questions:

1) Is your business in the tech (AI, AR/VR, marketplace, cleantech, biotech, additive manufacturing) industry? If yes, do you own the intellectual property rights and majority shareholding of the company?

2) Is a sizeable portion of your revenues being generated through North American customers? If not, is there a proof of concept which validates the need for your product/service in North America?

3) How familiar are you with Canadian business laws with respect to operating a company?

If your answer is 'No' for two or more questions, the Start-up visa route might not be the best approach.

There are a number of designated incubators and all of them have different focus sectors. For example, if you are into Cleantech and apply to a media-based incubator then that's not going to work. You have to pick an incubator which is a fit for your focus area and growth stage.

Some incubators take a share of your business. Others will ask for a minimum lease period in their office space. But regardless, there will be a due diligence process involved with long processing times. Most applicants will be required to make one or more visits to Canada before being accepted by any designated entity.

Incubators support your business through strong relationships with government and private sectors. For example, an incubator can help make connections with provincial Govt. resources for various grants and tax breaks. They can help get you connected with accounting/legal firms - this is particularly useful if you're new to a country.

Last edited:

rohini54

Jul 18, 2016
Dear Mauchan,
Thank you so much for a detailed explanation. This is really helpful.

Best Regards,
Rohini

jaime138

Apr 16, 2018
Hello all,

Does anybody know the acceptance or successful rates for the Start Up visa applicants? It seems not a lot of ideas get through the process..

Also, if I have everything on paper, meaning, a complete business model, etc., ready for a pitch, would I stand a chance with the Venture Capital/Investment firms? Assuming I aim my idea to the right industry, etc., etc.

Thanks for the comments.

Mauchan

Star Member
Dec 2, 2017
Do you mean the success rate when applying or cold-emailing designated entities through their websites? Nearly all the applications will be rejected - most of the time they will not even look at the applications.

A typical designated entity gets several hundreds to thousands of applications each year, and most of them are low-quality business propositions. The entities simply do not have the time and human resources to conduct due diligence on all of them.

Is your idea just on paper with no traction or proof of concept which validates product-market fit? If that's the case, your application won't stand a chance. Unless - you are a serial entrepreneur with a record of successful exits and also have connections who can make intros with Canadian VC's.

Even if you clear the initial application stage, get intros/meetings etc, the standard rejection rate of 99% will apply during fundraising. This is true for most businesses who seek potential VC investments, and not just for Start-up visa applicants.

Last edited:

atulmaini

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
Chandigarh
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
18th March2014
AOR Received.
18 April 2014
File Transfer...
18 April 2014
Med's Done....
13th Nov 2013
Interview........
IP on 19th Sep and DM on 23rd Sep 2014
Passport Req..
22nd Sep 2014
VISA ISSUED...
1st Oct 2014
LANDED..........
very soon
I have tried for the express entry but due to low CRS unable to get thru since 2years now. I have an established business in India and wish to take that to Canada. Can someone please help/provide information on angle investors/incubators. How do they support your business. Do they only approval your plan/idea or they also need a stake in the business.

Also if there are any consultants who could assist in applying for this visa it will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Rohini
Did you tried having a LMO jon offer.this can add 50 to 200 points leading to express entry approval.

skv1978

Sep 12, 2018

Thanks,
Rohini
HI

I am also pretty much in the same boat. Trying to connect with other like minds and build something that is valuable. Or probably someone has an idea and need someone to partner with who has skills .

Reactions: rohini54

mynaraja

Jul 15, 2018
D

Thanks,
Rohini
Did you made any progress on this?