+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse's Health insurance

Lenaa

Sep 18, 2018
Hey all,

I moved to Canada and prior to the move I had to become a non-resident in the Netherlands. This means that all my insurances have stopped from the day I moved. Now im living with my Canadian husband - married in Alberta- and i dont have health insurance from the netherlands or canada. How do i go about this? Can he add me to his policy? Or what other options do I have? We are planning to apply for inland sponsorship within two weeks.

Thanks!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
If you're in Alberta, you can be added to his insurance, yes. I was added to my wife's Alberta Healthcare insurance for six months (until the expiration of my original visitor status). After that, they were unable to extend it for me without a visitor record, but I got my work permit about a month later so it wasn't that important, I covered in the meantime with a private insurance provider.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Replying again to add, we just went to a registry and my wife said she recently got married and wanted to add her wife to her insurance. We got a form to fill out and I had to show my passport as the lady there looked at my last entry into Canada stamp as a way of calculating the six month cutoff point. So that insurance card of mine (and the coverage) expired six months after my entry to Canada, on the day my visitor status expired.

Then I just got some basic coverage from a private insurance company to cover any emergencies between that point and me getting my work permit (visitor status expired in April, I got my work permit in May).