+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit

Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,

When my spouse goes to Canada for a 1 year PG course, and if I join her after 2-3 months and apply for SOWP. Suppose SOWP takes 2 months to be approved, as per my understanding, I will get 7 months of Open work permit. How much percentage of chances do I have to get IT job in Canada with this 7 months of Open work permit?
What happens to SOWP, when my spouse takes another 1 year course before previous 1 year program completes?

sayoojc

Mar 4, 2021
Hello, I am an international student who wish to apply SOWP for my spouse. I would like to get an idea of decent financial proof to be shown to visa officer. I wish to demonstrate GIC of 18,000 CAD and Bank balance of approximately 8 lakhs in Joint account. Is this ok? Please suggest.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

When my spouse goes to Canada for a 1 year PG course, and if I join her after 2-3 months and apply for SOWP. Suppose SOWP takes 2 months to be approved, as per my understanding, I will get 7 months of Open work permit. How much percentage of chances do I have to get IT job in Canada with this 7 months of Open work permit?
What happens to SOWP, when my spouse takes another 1 year course before previous 1 year program completes?
Do you already have a TRV? Wait times for SOWP are usually much longer than 2 months even though some posted rates are 2 months. Depending on when you wife's program ends you will not qualify for an OWP. She'll need over 6 months left. You should really apply for the SOWP before you leave for Canada or with your wife's study permit. Once your spouse gets accepted for another program you can apply for another SOWP. Availability of IT jobs will depend on where you are living, your previous experience and skill.

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you for your response. Along with that I have few more questions. Can you please look into those?
1. Can we apply for Spouse Work permit from India? Or is it mandatory to apply from Canada?
2. How much time will it take to get SOWP after we apply for it?
3. I am the Co-applicant for my wife's education loan. Will be there any visa rejection when I apply for SOWP?