+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit

Nona_01

Jan 16, 2019
Hello. I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, but I'm new here and I haven't figured out how this works yet. So I apologize for that.
Now my question is, can someone who works in Canada but is NOT a citizen nor a permanent resident sponsor their spouse for a work permit? Or any other type of visa to let their spouse stay legally in Canada?
More specifically, my boyfriend is getting his master's degree in Physics in a couple months and would like to start looking for a job in Canada. Assuming that he gets offered a job and all of his applications go well and he starts working and living there, how would I move with him? We're not married as of now, but we're planning to, after graduating. If it is possible at all for me to go with him even though he's not a citizen or permanent resident, what is the procedure that I would need to follow? Do you necessarily need to be married? Would being married make the procedure any "easier"? Do you need to have been married for a certain amount of time to be able to sponsor your spouse? In case it is not possible to sponsor your spouse if you're not a citizen or permanent resident, what can I do to go with him? Could he sponsor me for any type of visa that would allow me to legally stay in Canada, given the fact that he has a job there and we're married?

(I don't know if this will be of any relevance to this, but we're both in our twenties and we're from Europe.)