+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Work Permit Questions

hungrypanda

Feb 28, 2016
I am a PR and am getting married in January. I was prepping for a spousal sponsorship and have a few basic questions.
My fiancee is from a visa-required country and has got her visitor visa done. She is working in the US and will only join me temporarily in January for a month. She will return to US to continue working.
However, she wants to join me and start working June.

So, here are my questions:
1. What kind of application do you recommend? - inland or outland. I dont think WP can be applied outland, right?
2. For an inland application, how long will it take for a work permit to come by?
3. She will, because of her job in the US, have border crossings at least a couple of times between January and June. I understand it is not recommended, but the situation demands it. What can we do about this?
4. Does she need a police background check? FBI takes a long time to get back with results. She needs to do that right away if it needs to be done.
5. Does she need a medical check?
6. See if I got the cost right. 1050 for application, and about $350 for open work permit. Missing anything?

Thanks!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
hungrypanda said:
I am a PR and am getting married in January. I was prepping for a spousal sponsorship and have a few basic questions.
My fiancee is from a visa-required country and has got her visitor visa done. She is working in the US and will only join me temporarily in January for a month. She will return to US to continue working.
However, she wants to join me and start working June.

So, here are my questions:
1. What kind of application do you recommend? - inland or outland. I dont think WP can be applied outland, right?
As a PR, you must remain in Canada while they process the application -- inland or outland. Short trips are usually tolerated, but this is essential.

Others will state outland, we applied inland. Really it all depends on your goals, and what you can tolerate. Inland does have the OWP, but your fiance would be cautioned not to leave Canada until they finish processing the application. If CBSA refuses her entry, the CIC can deem the application abandoned and therefore cancel it. The OWP is generally issued for 2 years to allow the application to finish processing (and the PA can remain in status, in Canada).

That said, outland could be faster. But there is no work permit (and getting one would require a LMIA and an employer wanting to hire your fiance).

For us, inland has worked out pretty well. My wife has had her OWP since June and is working full time, and we are just living our lives until CIC is finished.

hungrypanda said:
2. For an inland application, how long will it take for a work permit to come by?
~4 months it will take. Your fiance will have implied status from the day they applies for the OWP until they send it.

hungrypanda said:
3. She will, because of her job in the US, have border crossings at least a couple of times between January and June. I understand it is not recommended, but the situation demands it. What can we do about this?
If you decide on inland, I would wait to file until she can remain in Canada. Outland, this is no issue (other than the usual trouble CBSA could cause).

hungrypanda said:
4. Does she need a police background check? FBI takes a long time to get back with results. She needs to do that right away if it needs to be done.
Yes PCC"s are required for every country that a person spends 6 months or more in.

hungrypanda said:
5. Does she need a medical check?
Yes.

hungrypanda said:
6. See if I got the cost right. 1050 for application, and about $350 for open work permit. Missing anything?
OWP: 100 + 155 (Open Work Permit Holder Fee) = C$255.
C$75 for the Sponsorship application, C$475 for the PR application, C$490 for the RPRF = C$1040.

tunay

Dec 19, 2015
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-08-2018
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
profiler said:
As a PR, you must remain in Canada while they process the application -- inland or outland. Short trips are usually tolerated, but this is essential.

Others will state outland, we applied inland. Really it all depends on your goals, and what you can tolerate. Inland does have the OWP, but your fiance would be cautioned not to leave Canada until they finish processing the application. If CBSA refuses her entry, the CIC can deem the application abandoned and therefore cancel it. The OWP is generally issued for 2 years to allow the application to finish processing (and the PA can remain in status, in Canada).

That said, outland could be faster. But there is no work permit (and getting one would require a LMIA and an employer wanting to hire your fiance).

For us, inland has worked out pretty well. My wife has had her OWP since June and is working full time, and we are just living our lives until CIC is finished.

~4 months it will take. Your fiance will have implied status from the day they applies for the OWP until they send it.

If you decide on inland, I would wait to file until she can remain in Canada. Outland, this is no issue (other than the usual trouble CBSA could cause).

Yes PCC"s are required for every country that a person spends 6 months or more in.

Yes.

OWP: 100 + 155 (Open Work Permit Holder Fee) = C$255.
C$75 for the Sponsorship application, C$475 for the PR application, C$490 for the RPRF = C$1040.
I have very much similar case, and luckily I found this has already been inquired here, thanks.
Again I have some more questions to you the guys who have a good perspective in all this.

1. I am a PR from March 2016.

2. I am married on October 2017, with the woman I was dating, living together for last 4 years.

3. We will apply for PR for her under family sponsorship category.

4. She is Moldovan, on a Romanian passport and residence.

THE PLAN is as below:
5. Apply for a visitor visa, with a 6 months return ticket dated after December 2016 (Romania will be free of visa processing by December 2017), and there will be 9 months of private health insurance.

6. The question is: which one is favorable application type, INLAND or OUTLAND???

7. If INLAND is the good choice, is it OK to place the application while she is not in Canada yet, but assuming that she will be in Canada on a Visitor visa with in the following 2 months period, where application for OWP has already been placed? Aware of the risks that CBSA may not allow her, or she has to apply for a visa because of period granted is expires before December 2017.?

MY STATUS:
8. I will have tax return for 2016 with zero income, since I practically moved to Canada MArch 2017, besides I am not having a social assistance or applied for such, and living on my savings and on the earnings from the part time jobs I am performing at the moment.

9. We can put just a few grants on my wife's bank account for her Visitor visa application.

10. I have no permanent work at the moment, Taking the fact that I've moved to Canada just 2-3 months ago into the consideration, I presume CIC will process, both the Visitor visa and the Spousal Sponsorship applications, positively unless status my work and financial status doesn't get worse? I need your opinions and recommendations about this?

11. I have an apartment rental contract where 4 months paid up-front already.

In short:
A. INLAND or OUTLAND application is favourable type of application, even if the sponsored will not be available in Canada by the time the application is placed, where as she will be available 2 months later?

B. What are your opinions about processing of -both- Visitor Visa for 6 months and Spousal Sponsorship applications under the financial and employment status I have explained under Line 10? What would you recommend to avoid any fail in the applications?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
tunay said:
I have very much similar case, and luckily I found this has already been inquired here, thanks.
Again I have some more questions to you the guys who have a good perspective in all this.

1. I am a PR from March 2016.

2. I am married on October 2017, with the woman I was dating, living together for last 4 years.

3. We will apply for PR for her under family sponsorship category.

4. She is Moldovan, on a Romanian passport and residence.

THE PLAN is as below:
5. Apply for a visitor visa, with a 6 months return ticket dated after December 2016 (Romania will be free of visa processing by December 2017), and there will be 9 months of private health insurance.

6. The question is: which one is favorable application type, INLAND or OUTLAND???

7. If INLAND is the good choice, is it OK to place the application while she is not in Canada yet, but assuming that she will be in Canada on a Visitor visa with in the following 2 months period, where application for OWP has already been placed? Aware of the risks that CBSA may not allow her, or she has to apply for a visa because of period granted is expires before December 2017.?

MY STATUS:
8. I will have tax return for 2016 with zero income, since I practically moved to Canada MArch 2017, besides I am not having a social assistance or applied for such, and living on my savings and on the earnings from the part time jobs I am performing at the moment.

9. We can put just a few grants on my wife's bank account for her Visitor visa application.

10. I have no permanent work at the moment, Taking the fact that I've moved to Canada just 2-3 months ago into the consideration, I presume CIC will process, both the Visitor visa and the Spousal Sponsorship applications, positively unless status my work and financial status doesn't get worse? I need your opinions and recommendations about this?

11. I have an apartment rental contract where 4 months paid up-front already.

In short:
A. INLAND or OUTLAND application is favourable type of application, even if the sponsored will not be available in Canada by the time the application is placed, where as she will be available 2 months later?

B. What are your opinions about processing of -both- Visitor Visa for 6 months and Spousal Sponsorship applications under the financial and employment status I have explained under Line 10? What would you recommend to avoid any fail in the applications?
-Have you and your spouse lived together for 12 consecutive months? Did you live together prior to you becoming a PR? If yes, that is a big problem.

-If the applicant is not in Canada, then your only option is to apply outland.

Being unemployed is not a problem, as long as you are not on welfare. You will have to show IRCC how you plan to support yourselves.

tunay

Dec 19, 2015
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-08-2018
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
MilesAway said:
-Have you and your spouse lived together for 12 consecutive months? Did you live together prior to you becoming a PR? If yes, that is a big problem.

-If the applicant is not in Canada, then your only option is to apply outland.

Being unemployed is not a problem, as long as you are not on welfare. You will have to show IRCC how you plan to support yourselves.
- It is a bit complicated. We are together for about 4 years, with ups and downs; however we never lived together 12 month in a row. It may hardly sum up to 15-18 months in this 4 years period, and one third of it is after having PR. Technically there is nothing that I can support that we lived together. I was thinking this is the problem.
I am an engineer worked abroad, remote construction sites. She visited me there for 3-6 months; and she stayed with my mom, where is also my registered residence -which I use when I am not abroad for work-, and we lived together again on my moms house together during the times I was not abroad, and the other times she lived in her parents house, or she was living in the city where she was attending at university.

- The applicant is not in Canada, but she will be, as we will apply for a visitor visa. Do you mean that we can apply -for inland application- only after she is in Canada, and we can not even if we take the risk that she may not be admitted to Canada on visitor visa?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
One of the requirements on the checklist is: If you are in Canada, you must provide a copy of your visa and entry stamps. For inland, the applicant must be in Canada. How are you going to comply with this requirement if your spouse has not received a visa yet and is not in Canada?

IRCC may ask you to prove that you were not common-law prior to becoming a PR.

rthoguluva

Jul 16, 2015
Hi All,
I've a doubt in the expiry date of IELTS.I wrote the exam on 30-May-2015 and date of test result was 12-Jun-2015. I would like to know till which date
(i.e., 20-May-2015 or 12-Jun-2015) will be considered for expiry for my IELTS ?