+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit query

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Hi guys.hope you all r doing great.

I hav some queries regarding work permit for my wife. We jus got married on 13july n applied for tourist visa. Luckily she got visa for 6 yrs(till d duration of her passport) now we are going to Canada on 28th of dis month. The main reason I applied for my wife's visitor visa is that i wanted her to come to canada and live with me. In order to get the tourist visa for her, I stated in my application that she is coming with me for a month for honeymoon and will return to home country after a month. But I want her to live with me there in canada. Now I am planning to apply for her SOWP, so that she can stay in Canada until my work permit (PGWP) expires. So I jus need to knw.

1. Wat wud be d appropriate tym to apply for SOWP after we go to Canada... Immediately or we shud wait for atleast a month or so?

2. What things we shud focus on so that it won't get rejected(I hav my PGWP till 2018)?

Please guyz i really need ur advise and suggestions.
I would be really grateful.

Thank you.

Unsung

Jun 13, 2016
anky2015 said:
Any help would b much appreciated.
Just apply ASAP now, would u mind telling me was ur wife working in india? Like did she have a job there in order to get a tourist visa?

anky2015

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Unsung said:
Just apply ASAP now, would u mind telling me was ur wife working in india? Like did she have a job there in order to get a tourist visa?
She was a student who just completed her masters and she had a job offer at hand. On that basis we got her tourist visa but she wants to stay with me in Canada until my WP expires.

hopeful.ad

Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Novascotia, sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 23, 2015
Nomination.....
September, 2015
AOR Received.
March 11, 2016
IELTS Request
already submitted
Med's Request
Nov 02nd
Med's Done....
Nov 23rd
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
already in Canada
Prepare all the required documents and goto border with your wife, CIC will give workpermit right away.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You were lucky that you got TRV.

This is the exact reason CIC often refuses visitor visas for such cases.

Any way you can either go to border with all docs (which is faster, but slightly risky) or apply from inside Canada for SOWP.

In order to be officially eligible for SOWP, you need to have a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B) and must provide substantial proof of that.

Some people have experienced that even when they didn't have skilled jobs, but went to border and got SOW permits. While this might have happened, I won't advise trying this out since it deviates from the official guideline so you are at risk.

The sooner you do it, the better since it would give you room for alternate plans (second attempt) in the event of a refusal.