+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse with expired PR

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
HI All,

Can someone tell me how long does it usually take to sponsor your spouse?
She use to live here in Canada but have to leave for personal reason and her PR will get expired soon.
Does sponsorship mean she will be here as PR or she will need to apply for PR once she is here?
Any kind of info will be helpful to find the right solution.

Thank you all for any help.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
2cookies said:
HI All,

She use to live here in Canada but have to leave for personal reason and her PR will get expired soon.
Does sponsorship mean she will be here as PR or she will need to apply for PR once she is here?

It really depends on the situation. Has she lived more than 3 years out of 5 years? If so, she has lost her PR status due to not maintaining her PR status.

If she has been out of Canada just short of 3 years, she would have to move back to Canada asap so retain her 2 / 5 years residency requirement and stay in Canada for the next 2 years in order to keep her PR status.

Screech339

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
screech339 said:
It really depends on the situation. Has she lived more than 3 years out of 5 years? If so, she has lost her PR status due to not maintaining her PR status.

If she has been out of Canada just short of 3 years, she would have to move back to Canada asap so retain her 2 / 5 years residency requirement and stay in Canada for the next 2 years in order to keep her PR status.

Screech339
so far what am aware of if she were able to stay 2 out of 5 she could renew it (as you said) but she only have one year stay and she wont make it to 2 years. let say she dont have any PR option anymore.
So in that case how long approx. will it take?
And what does sponsorship really give her?

Thanks all

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
2cookies said:
so far what am aware of if she were able to stay 2 out of 5 she could renew it (as you said) but she only have one year stay and she wont make it to 2 years. let say she dont have any PR option anymore.
So in that case how long approx. will it take?
And what does sponsorship really give her?

Thanks all
If she in fact lost her PR status, then she would have to go through the PR sponsorship all over again. The timeline would be no difference from everyone else.

The only bonus she may get is that since she been PR before, she may get a faster PR timeline to land as PR again.

But before you jump the gun, perhaps she can at least move back to Canada with her PR card and see what happens. If CIC let her back in, then she is golden.

What the worst thing that can happen? If she get denied PR status, she could at least come in on visitor status. At least you would confirm that she lost her PR status. If she was able to keep her PR status once back in Canada, you won't have to sponsor her at all.

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
screech339 said:
If she in fact lost her PR status, then she would have to go through the PR sponsorship all over again. The timeline would be no difference from everyone else.

The only bonus she may get is that since she been PR before, she may get a faster PR timeline to land as PR again.

But before you jump the gun, perhaps she can at least move back to Canada with her PR card and see what happens. If CIC let her back in, then she is golden.

What the worst thing that can happen? If she get denied PR status, she could at least come in on visitor status. At least you would confirm that she lost her PR status. If she was able to keep her PR status once back in Canada, you won't have to sponsor her at all.
any idea what the timeline for PR is?
what else can be done for her to stay in Canada while applying for the (new) PR? a visitor visa is enough or we can try other ways?

thx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
2cookies said:
any idea what the timeline for PR is?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2cookies said:
HI All,

As you have said on another thread, your spouse is not ready to move back to Canada at this point. However, if you do decide to sponsor her, she would get a brand new PR and could stay out Canada for 3 years again before she'll have a problem again.

In order to sponsor her again, she would first need to officially lose her existing PR. She can do that by applying for a PR travel document after her PR card expires. After the travel document is denied, she would have to wait 60 days in order to lose her PR and then you could start sponsorship of her.

As she is not living in Canada, you would sponsor her outland. The processing times can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp (47 days to approve the sponsor) and after that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp (somewhere between months and years at your assigned visa office).

The fees are $1040 and she would need to get new medicals and new police clearances in order to apply.

2cookies

May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Yes
Leon said:
As you have said on another thread, your spouse is not ready to move back to Canada at this point. However, if you do decide to sponsor her, she would get a brand new PR and could stay out Canada for 3 years again before she'll have a problem again.

In order to sponsor her again, she would first need to officially lose her existing PR. She can do that by applying for a PR travel document after her PR card expires. After the travel document is denied, she would have to wait 60 days in order to lose her PR and then you could start sponsorship of her.

As she is not living in Canada, you would sponsor her outland. The processing times can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp (47 days to approve the sponsor) and after that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp (somewhere between months and years at your assigned visa office).

The fees are $1040 and she would need to get new medicals and new police clearances in order to apply.
ok . thank you all for the info

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Leon said:

. I hv the same situation , but my question, if I become a Canadian citizen and my son too , can I sponsor my husband so he can hv a new pr after the his old one expired ? And does this pr need to be. Renewed by spending 2 out of 5 yrs or can it be a permanant pr bec I am a Canadian wife ? And what do they approve such sponsorships or is it hard bec of my income issues .... Thank y Leon u are the best

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
May2014 said:
. . . or can it be a permanant pr bec I am a Canadian wife ?
There is no "permanent PR", The P in PR already stands for "permanent". Yes, his PR would still have to be renewed. PR cards are issued with a 5-year expiration.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May2014 said:
. I hv the same situation , but my question, if I become a Canadian citizen and my son too , can I sponsor my husband so he can hv a new pr after the his old one expired ? And does this pr need to be. Renewed by spending 2 out of 5 yrs or can it be a permanant pr bec I am a Canadian wife ? And what do they approve such sponsorships or is it hard bec of my income issues .... Thank y Leon u are the best
It works like this: The PR status is permanent and doesn't expire but it is still possible to lose it. The PR card has a 5 year expiry.

A PR must always meet the RO (residency obligation of having spent at least 730 days (2 years) out of the past 5 years in Canada or in their first 5 years as a PR if they landed less than 5 years ago. If a PR is caught on entry to Canada not meeting the RO, they could lose their PR status as well as they must meet the RO in order to be able to renew their PR card.

If your husband does not meet the RO and has lost his PR or renounces it in order to be sponsored again, you can sponsor him if you are a PR who is living in Canada and meeting the RO yourself or if you are a citizen.

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
Thanks a million Leon :) this type of sponsorship is inland sponsorship I think ...

1) How long does this now takes .. ?

2)if he can't again complete another 2 yrs .. Can I still sponsor him again ?

3) if I don't hv an income yet evidence of good financial status banking proof will this process of sponsorship be easy or an income is mandatory ?

4) can our son sponsor him too ?

Sorry for so many questions but he works abroad and as a physician chances here in Canada are really hard so we r trying to find alternatives
Thank you again Leon .. God bless you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May2014 said:
Thanks a million Leon :) this type of sponsorship is inland sponsorship I think ...

1) How long does this now takes .. ?

2)if he can't again complete another 2 yrs .. Can I still sponsor him again ?

3) if I don't hv an income yet evidence of good financial status banking proof will this process of sponsorship be easy or an income is mandatory ?

4) can our son sponsor him too ?

Sorry for so many questions but he works abroad and as a physician chances here in Canada are really hard so we r trying to find alternatives
Thank you again Leon .. God bless you
1) No, it is not inland sponsorship because your husband is not living in Canada. It would be outland. Processing time depends on the visa office but would be anywhere from a few months to a couple of years depending on their workload.

2) Yes, you can sponsor him again but if he is really not intending to move to Canada, you could just save yourself the money and apply for his multiple entry visit visa. You can sponsor him later when he is ready to move.

3) Proof of income is not mandatory when sponsoring a spouse but you need to show that you will not end up on welfare if you do so some income is a good idea.

4) If your son is an adult and has enough income to provide for his spouse, children as well as his father, he can sponsor him but he will have to show proof of income and the processing time is longer.

May2014

Star Member
May 6, 2014
The multiple visa option is a magnificent idea .. I hope it works though .. We had sm frd that had his pr expired and was denied a visa to visit his family ! They say if you lose ur pr status yr visa is denied to enter Canada even for a long time .. Is that true ?