+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse was receiving social assistance

lukepick

Apr 24, 2012
Me and my wife as close to sending on our papers. But she was receiving living assistance last year. She has now been employed for 4 months and stop receiving benifits as soon as she was employed.
Is it a problem that she recieved benifits in the last 12 months ?
Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
lukepick said:
Me and my wife as close to sending on our papers. But she was receiving living assistance last year. She has now been employed for 4 months and stop receiving benifits as soon as she was employed.
Thanks
That may be an issue with CIC. It is one of the reasons why CIC request Option C print out. It will tell them if spouse has been living on social assistance the past 12 months.

You can try to get the sponsorship put in and see how it turns out. Some have been able to get sponsorship completed when sponsor submitted application a month after they went off welfare. Others have not been so lucky. Have been rejected due to being on welfare for 1 month during the past 12 month. They would have to wait until 12 straight months have pass welfare free before being allowed to sponsor again.

CIC have not been 100% consistent in following the no pass social assistance rule in their accepting / rejection procedures.

Screech339

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
lukepick said:
Thanks
Hi lukepick, are you the applicant or sponsor? The Canadian sponsor cannot be receiving social assistance when they apply unless it is a disability pension or disability income. Employment insurance (EI) benefits are also allowed. If your wife is the sponsor, I think (but not 100% sure on this) that as long as she is employed when submitting the application that will be ok. If I am wrong and there is a 12 month prior period, then another member will chime in and correct me. You can also call CIC directly or your MP and ask them to clarify. Better to do this before you submit the application. Blessings.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Cdnandtrini, you assumed correctly from what I am reading that his wife is the sponsor.

The OP's wife cannot be currently on social assistance other than the mentioned list. However sometimes CIC may deny her ability to sponsor due to the fact that she was on social assistance for the past 12 months. This is why they asked for option c print out which will tell CIC this. This is the sticking point.

Some have been able to continue with their sponsorship when they submitted their application a month after getting off welfare. Others have not been so lucky and had to wait 12 months of welfare free before applying again.

I think they are okay to send in their application since they are no longer on social assistance. What's the harm in sending it in now. If it get rejected due to not meeting the 12 month welfare free, they can reapply in 8 months when they hit the 1 year welfare free mark.

Screech339

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
screech339 said:
Cdnandtrini, you assumed correctly from what I am reading that his wife is the sponsor.

The OP's wife cannot be currently on social assistance other than the mentioned list. However sometimes CIC may deny her ability to sponsor due to the fact that she was on social assistance for the past 12 months. This is why they asked for option c print out which will tell CIC this. This is the sticking point.

Some have been able to continue with their sponsorship when they submitted their application a month after getting off welfare. Others have not been so lucky and had to wait 12 months of welfare free before applying again.

I think they are okay to send in their application since they are no longer on social assistance. What's the harm in sending it in now. If it get rejected due to not meeting the 12 month welfare free, they can reapply in 8 months when they hit the 1 year welfare free mark.

Screech339
Hi Screech, so as in many other things CIC is not consistent in this either? Big surprise :D!! I personally would check with someone at CIC or MPs office before submitting to see if I could get something in writing. To submit the application and have it sent back, means there has been some record of that documented somewhere and I would prefer that not to happen (if it was me). Save the postage/courier money. The other consideration is that sometimes the online sponsorship documents/processes change or get updated and one cannot be sure that an application sent 8 months ago would still be 100% valid, 8 months later. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to immigration. Blessings.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CIC will never get anything down in writing. They don't want to be held liable to their word. So good luck getting anything down in writing other than what is written in the guide book / online website regarding rules about social assistance.