+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visit to refugee claimant

Folufx28

Sep 2, 2019
I am a refugee claimant in Canada, I came in to Canada in july 2019. My wife and children are in my country, can my wife visit me?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
I am a refugee claimant in Canada, I came in to Canada in july 2019. My wife and children are in my country, can my wife visit me?
First, you can't invite them. Refugee claimants have no legal status until their claims are finalize. They can visit you. However, they'll need a visa or eTA if they're coming from a country that is visa exempt. BUT, they'll need to convince Visa Officer, that their main purpose is to visit and will leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay and not coming to make a claim like you. Which, is very difficult. As their application may or shouldn't contradict your basic of claim.

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
Short Answer: No.

But she can apply for a visitor Visa as you never know, chances are still zero. Sorry.

Mi90s

Jan 23, 2020
First, you can't invite them. Refugee claimants have no legal status until their claims are finalize. They can visit you. However, they'll need a visa or eTA if they're coming from a country that is visa exempt. BUT, they'll need to convince Visa Officer, that their main purpose is to visit and will leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay and not coming to make a claim like you. Which, is very difficult. As their application may or shouldn't contradict your basic of claim.
Well, until your claim is finalized, you do have a legal status to be in the country. You becoming out of status is depend on the outcome of your hearing, god forbid, yours will be approved.

You might be able to expedite your hearing date, by talking to your lawyer, if you are not mentally stable due to being far away from the family. There are some exceptions as such, talk to your lawyer.

Folufx28

Sep 2, 2019
Well, until your claim is finalized, you do have a legal status to be in the country. You becoming out of status is depend on the outcome of your hearing, god forbid, yours will be approved.

You might be able to expedite your hearing date, by talking to your lawyer, if you are not mentally stable due to being far away from the family. There are some exceptions as such, talk to your lawyer.
Thanks for your response, can you elaborate more on the exceptions? And please can you recommend or suggest a Lawyer for me who can help, I am using the third Lawyer now, the last 2 Lawyers I have engaged promised getting me a date. The present Lawyer I’m engaging promises to get me a date before last year December, later he said on or before April, up till now no date in view. And I have paid $3000 out of $5000 he demanded.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response, can you elaborate more on the exceptions? And please can you recommend or suggest a Lawyer for me who can help, I am using the third Lawyer now, the last 2 Lawyers I have engaged promised getting me a date. The present Lawyer I’m engaging promises to get me a date before last year December, later he said on or before April, up till now no date in view. And I have paid $3000 out of $5000 he demanded.
A lawyer is unable to guarantee a hearing date or timeline. A large percentage get a hearing before 2 years but some wait longer.

Reactions: Folufx28