+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse travelling on VV while PR in process

PavanJagdheesh

Oct 25, 2018
Hello all,

I am currently on PGWP that expires end of next year. My wife will be travelling this year December for the first time to Canada on a visitor visa that was approved a few days back. Our application for PR will hopefully be in process when she is travelling.

Will current PR Application raise any questions to her in the Immigration Control at the Airport?
Also, in case, our PR is approved while she is in Canada, does she have to leave the country to give an interview in home country or can she go to the border to change from VV to PR along with me?
Also, in a case, where our PR would still be under processing, can she just exit the border and return back on VV to join with me?

Appreciate all your support in advance,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am currently on PGWP that expires end of next year. My wife will be travelling this year December for the first time to Canada on a visitor visa that was approved a few days back. Our application for PR will hopefully be in process when she is travelling.

Will current PR Application raise any questions to her in the Immigration Control at the Airport?
Also, in case, our PR is approved while she is in Canada, does she have to leave the country to give an interview in home country or can she go to the border to change from VV to PR along with me?
Also, in a case, where our PR would still be under processing, can she just exit the border and return back on VV to join with me?

Appreciate all your support in advance,
Only having a TRV and not an OWP may be an issue for many reasons. Does she have a return ticket? She may not be allowed to fly without one. If she is planning on remaining in Canada she should be applying for an OWP. She should apply once in Canada or even start the application before coming to Canada. There are always risks of being denied entry to Canada as a visitor. Proof of ties to your home country like a job or home to return to or proof of funds to support your visit are typical questions. Most spouses are able to enter on a TRV and not an OWP without issue. Would highly recommend getting a return ticket which may also be required just to board her flight to Canada but also reinforces the fact that she is a visitor. You can cancel once in Canada as long as you purchase a refundable flight. She may be told to apply for an OWP if she wants to live in Canada and not just visit.

Most PR applications don’t require an interview if they aren’t family sponsorship. If an interview is required for some reason it can be done in Canada.

PavanJagdheesh

Oct 25, 2018
Hi @canuck78. Thank you for taking the time.
We will be purchasing a return ticket for showing her return (hopefully a refundable one). We do have an Employment letter from her employer, confirming her job and vacation for Dec 15th, 2022 to January 15th, 2023, post which confirming the return to work.

But this question arises, Can she show this same letter as she is now traveling on Nov 30th? If yes, will she only be admitted stay only till January 15th, 2023? I know usually that passport will be stamped for 10 years with a 6month one time stay. We have already sent it, after receiving a PPR but we would like for her to stay for a longer time at least till April 2023 on her VV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78. Thank you for taking the time.
We will be purchasing a return ticket for showing her return (hopefully a refundable one). We do have an Employment letter from her employer, confirming her job and vacation for Dec 15th, 2022 to January 15th, 2023, post which confirming the return to work.

But this question arises, Can she show this same letter as she is now traveling on Nov 30th? If yes, will she only be admitted stay only till January 15th, 2023? I know usually that passport will be stamped for 10 years with a 6month one time stay. We have already sent it, after receiving a PPR but we would like for her to stay for a longer time at least till April 2023 on her VV.
Wouldn’t show or bring the letter if she isn’t following the travel dates. Technically she shouldn’t becoming toCanada on November 30th if her holidays starts on December 15th. Just giving a verbal answer will likely be fine. Wouldn’t lie if ever asked a specific question but wouldn’t volunteer information either. If specifically asked whether you plan on remaining in Canada during your sponsorship she needs to say yes. It’s a fine balance but lying can lead to bigger issues. Not the first time a spouse has entered on a TRV with plans on remaining in Canada. Dual intent is allowed

PavanJagdheesh

Oct 25, 2018
In this case, since we will not show her return to work letter, what date would you recommend for the return flight ticket as a visitor, assuming we have no other strong ties apart the work letter?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In this case, since we will not show her return to work letter, what date would you recommend for the return flight ticket as a visitor, assuming we have no other strong ties apart the work letter?
Would buy a return ticket that would be a regular vacation length. You’ll need to find a refundable ticket which will likely limit your choices.

PavanJagdheesh

Oct 25, 2018
Hello Canuck78,

Thanks for your help. She has received a Visitor Visa, only till the end of my Work Permit. So, just one year.

We are planning to show a stay till mid April (roughly 5months). Any idea if the Border Services at the Immigration at Airport, will reduce her stay to only 5 months? Also, we just have a flight ticket to show for her return.