+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse status after sponsor applies for citizenship

ashraf07

Dec 22, 2014
Hello All,

I have applied for Canadian citizenship, I sponsored my wife to become a PR, and she is a PR now.

The question is does her PR status is going to remain the same if I become a citizen? I am confused if she will lose her PR status in Canada. Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I have applied for Canadian citizenship, I sponsored my wife to become a PR, and she is a PR now.

The question is does her PR status is going to remain the same if I become a citizen? I am confused if she will lose her PR status in Canada. Thanks in advance!
Her PR status will be unchanged. Things like PR and citizenship depend on the individual. She must continue to meet her own RO if she wants to maintain her PR and live 3 out of 5 years in Canada if she wants to apply for citizenship.

Reactions: YVR123 and ashraf07

ashraf07

Dec 22, 2014
Her PR status will be unchanged. Things like PR and citizenship depend on the individual. She must continue to meet her own RO if she wants to maintain her PR and live 3 out of 5 years in Canada if she wants to apply for citizenship.
Thanks, this clears my confusion. Much Appreciated!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello All,

1. She remains a PR.