+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship

Tayeolu

Dec 8, 2023
How can I get the format of how to write a letter of explanation on the marriage certificate that we didn't put my wife dad name on our marriage certificate because she had never her dad name in any of her documents before, she uses her mom last name in any of her documents, one of my uncle stand for her on that day of issues the certificate

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How can I get the format of how to write a letter of explanation on the marriage certificate that we didn't put my wife dad name on our marriage certificate because she had never her dad name in any of her documents before, she uses her mom last name in any of her documents, one of my uncle stand for her on that day of issues the certificate
There is no format for a letter of explanation. And in fact, many marriage certificates do not even have the information for the bride or groom's parents.

The only part that I am confused with your post is that "your uncle stand for her". Does it mean she was not physically there during the marriage?
Proxy marriage is not recongized in Canada. If both you and her was there, then there is no problem. A witness can be anyone on a marriage certificate as long as it's recongize in the country of issue.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There is no format for a letter of explanation. And in fact, many marriage certificates do not even have the information for the bride or groom's parents.

The only part that I am confused with your post is that "your uncle stand for her". Does it mean she was not physically there during the marriage?
Proxy marriage is not recongized in Canada. If both you and her was there, then there is no problem. A witness can be anyone on a marriage certificate as long as it's recongize in the country of issue.
It is a letter, in which you explain something. That's it - that's the format. ))

I understood the post to mean that in the ceremony, the uncle stood in place of the father (in traditional ceremony).

To me all that needs to be explained here is: we are not in touch with father; applicant uses mother's name and not father's family name; father was not present at ceremony but other relative (uncle) topk the traditional roles; father's name was also not on marriage certificate.

Just state the facts, no need to go into long explanations. Lots of people come from households where they're not in touch with one parent / are estranged from various family members, etc. Absence of father's name in marriage certificate may or may not be a bit unusual / out of ordinary in local custom, but also not rare, nothing to worry about if just explained.