+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship

Nchoudhary

Jul 23, 2019
I would recommend reading up on the differences between inland and outland sponsorship. If you apply for inland sponsorship, it means the principal applicant is living in Canada already. Outland sponsorship is for when the principal applicant lives outside of Canada. Because you are a PR holder, you can only be a sponsor while you live in Canada, only citizens can initiate the process from outside Canada. The principal applicant can visit Canada while the sponsorship process is ongoing, but just be warned that it can be hard to get a tourist visa. Since your partner already has one, they shouldn't have a problem. Where you get married doesn't matter, as long as you are able to get the official documentation to show that you are married. Hope that is helpful!
This is helpful, thanks. Does the duration vary for inland and Outland applications ? For example is inland faster ?

Nchoudhary

Jul 23, 2019
I would recommend reading up on the differences between inland and outland sponsorship. If you apply for inland sponsorship, it means the principal applicant is living in Canada already. Outland sponsorship is for when the principal applicant lives outside of Canada. Because you are a PR holder, you can only be a sponsor while you live in Canada, only citizens can initiate the process from outside Canada. The principal applicant can visit Canada while the sponsorship process is ongoing, but just be warned that it can be hard to get a tourist visa. Since your partner already has one, they shouldn't have a problem. Where you get married doesn't matter, as long as you are able to get the official documentation to show that you are married. Hope that is helpful!
Thank you

Chanda45

Feb 2, 2019
I think my question is relevant to the thread.

I am in the same situation where I am a PR holder in Canada but my fiancé isn't and doesn't even have Tourist visa for now. We are planning to get married next year in India. We plan to get his Tourist Visa by then so that we can travel back to Canada together. Once we are in Canada, we plan to apply for his Spousal Sponsorship application with Open Work Permit application as an inland applicant. From various posts I understand that takes 4-5 months.
My question is can he look for a job and possibly start one once work permit is in applied status ?

Thank you!
Chanda

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
I think my question is relevant to the thread.

I am in the same situation where I am a PR holder in Canada but my fiancé isn't and doesn't even have Tourist visa for now. We are planning to get married next year in India. We plan to get his Tourist Visa by then so that we can travel back to Canada together. Once we are in Canada, we plan to apply for his Spousal Sponsorship application with Open Work Permit application as an inland applicant. From various posts I understand that takes 4-5 months.
My question is can he look for a job and possibly start one once work permit is in applied status ?

Thank you!
Chanda
No he cannot. He has to wait to be granted the work permit before he can work. He is welcome to look for jobs and even entertain offers, but can't actually start working.