+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship while in school

rubz9911

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Hello everyone,
Hope you all are doing well!
My case scenario:
I have been a Canadian Permanent Resident for more than a year and full time employed making roughly around 40K a year since last 3 years. I have over 18K saved in my savings account to use in my near future funds.

I’m thinking about doing my bachelors which takes about almost 4 years and also will need OSAP to finish my studies. However since I’m 27 I’m also planning to get married within a next year (my future spouse lives in India).

My questions are here:
1. So after I get married, can I still sponsor my wife to come to Canada as a permanent Resident ?
2. OR if not, is there any way where she can apply for open work permit??
3. Not being full time employed while studying would make this ineligible for either ways??
4. Is relying on OSAP for the studies can make this family reunification harder?

Note: I’m willing to take full responsibility and able to support as much as I can to sponsor my wife.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
1, yes you can apply.
2, open work permit is for permanent resident applications, inland. Your spouse would need to have to be in Canada and apply as an inland app.
3, you dont always have to be unemployed, but you do have to show an income on how you would support yourself and a spouse.
4, Osap is considered a loan and not income, so I'm not sure if Cic would accept that or not as a reliable source of income to support you and your spouse.

Reactions: rubz9911

rubz9911

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Hi thanks for your reply!
For #2, did you mean to say that my spouse has to be in Canada on any status in order to apply for the open work permit?
OR she can also apply from India with I do the sponsorship application?

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Hi thanks for your reply!
For #2, did you mean to say that my spouse has to be in Canada on any status in order to apply for the open work permit?
OR she can also apply from India with I do the sponsorship application?
She has to be in canada with status, so if she comes here, apply inland and do an owp application with it