+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - which name to use

welshiess

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Just a quick one.....just finalising forms.

Which family name should my wife use on her forms (she is sponsoring me)? She has taken my family name but not had time to change all her IDs before we submit papers next week. We got married 3 weeks ago and have a copy of the marriage cert so is it ok if she uses my family name? The copies of her IDs will show a different family name.

I have already sent her my forms where I have used my family name for her.

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
So is your family name on the mariage certificate? What IDs are you talking about exactly? She only needs to show a copy of her birth certificate or passport if she is sponsoring you. You should use whatever name is on her passport of birth certificate. If the marriage certificate is under your name then that it shouldnt really be a problem, because they should understand that she's taken your name. Then again, don't mariage certificates show both names as they were before marriage (ie maiden)?

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
The name that appears on her identification should definitely be used. Any discrepancy in names, middle names, family names etc. can cause in a return of your documents by CIC.

I hope this isn't the case with you and I wish you the best of luck!