+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship: Sending App without FBI Security Clearance

mtl4309

Jan 26, 2011
Hello all -

So about me: I am an American and married a Canadian citizen last month whom I'd been dating for 1.5 years. I live in Canada earning my law degree (sadly, the specific immigration procedures employed by CIC are not covered :)). My husband is also in the professional field. We are applying out-land through Buffalo. The sponsorship application is complete, as is my personal PR application. My medical exam has been done. I submitted my request for the FBI clearance a week ago. We are entirely ready to go forward, except waiting on that FBI security clearance. It appears recent FBI requests have taken about 8 weeks to process.

So, the question: Should I send my application to start the process in Mississauga NOW with a note that the FBI clearance will follow ASAP, or should i wait until I receive the clearance to send it all together? I don't want to cause any undue frustration on either the CIC's or my own part, or more importantly, add a delay that would be greater than just waiting for the document now. However, if that clearance isn't immediately necessary for CIC during the sponsorship acceptance stage, I'd appreciate getting this started.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the sponsorship application in Mississauga dependent upon the security clearance, or does it become relevant once the file gets to Buffalo? It seems given processing times, by the time the file reaches Buffalo, I'd receive the FBI clearance that I could then forward.

Any experience would be appreciated.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mtl4309 said:
Hello all -

So about me: I am an American and married a Canadian citizen last month whom I'd been dating for 1.5 years. I live in Canada earning my law degree (sadly, the specific immigration procedures employed by CIC are not covered :)). My husband is also in the professional field. We are applying out-land through Buffalo. The sponsorship application is complete, as is my personal PR application. My medical exam has been done. I submitted my request for the FBI clearance a week ago. We are entirely ready to go forward, except waiting on that FBI security clearance. It appears recent FBI requests have taken about 8 weeks to process.

So, the question: Should I send my application to start the process in Mississauga NOW with a note that the FBI clearance will follow ASAP, or should i wait until I receive the clearance to send it all together? I don't want to cause any undue frustration on either the CIC's or my own part, or more importantly, add a delay that would be greater than just waiting for the document now. However, if that clearance isn't immediately necessary for CIC during the sponsorship acceptance stage, I'd appreciate getting this started.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the sponsorship application in Mississauga dependent upon the security clearance, or does it become relevant once the file gets to Buffalo? It seems given processing times, by the time the file reaches Buffalo, I'd receive the FBI clearance that I could then forward.

Any experience would be appreciated.
You can send it without the FBI clearance. Advise that you have applied for it and expect to receive it in approximately 2 months. Advise that you will forward it to Buffalo as soon as it is received and you have received the AOR with your file number from Buffalo.

The choice is up to you. The clock started ticking when you had the medical done. There have been some stories about difficulty getting FBI clearances due to issues with quality of the fingerprints. However, most people get them on the first try.

Yeah, immigration law is an elective course for a law degree. I don't even think that all law schools across the country offer it!

mtl4309

Jan 26, 2011
Absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much; I'll heed that advice and get this application in the mail!