+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship question, advice needed plz help

Dec 29, 2018
My husband has no status in Canada, I married him under the understanding of what him and his friends told me and my family that he was a Refugee and his application was ongoing and that he didn't need immigration through me. After marriage it turns out his application for refugee had been refused and that he was subject to a removal order. I was unfortunately pregnant with him at the time which is why I decided to sponsor him for the sake of the baby. But his attitude was so terrible towards me as if I was just an object to him and nothing more, we had so much arguments about him being cold towards me and him denying it. Then I find out that he was engaged to a woman back home who is widowed. I felt so terrible, this is something he could have shared with me before marriage so I could have made a better decision. His family back home demands him to send money which he does on a monthly basis, it didn't bother me because he was supporting his mother, but things went worst when he was sending half his paycheque to then 3/4 of his paycheque, on one side he is making me save money for him to pay his loans in Canada and the other every saving I do is sent back home. All in all I am through this marriage, he lies too much and I have no trust in him, I can't continue with this marriage.

I am sponsoring him, I am filing for divorce asap, I am also withdrawing my application to sponsor him anymore. My question is that when I file for sole custody of the baby will my husband be able to fight the custody or does he get deported because the immigration Canada told him he is subject of a removal order, the lawyer said because my sponsorship application is ongoing they won't remove him but the day I decide to withdraw my application to sponsor him, he could be removed from Canada.

Will I be able to get the custody of my child on this basis? Because my husband threatened to take her away from me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband has no status in Canada, I married him under the understanding of what him and his friends told me and my family that he was a Refugee and his application was ongoing and that he didn't need immigration through me. After marriage it turns out his application for refugee had been refused and that he was subject to a removal order. I was unfortunately pregnant with him at the time which is why I decided to sponsor him for the sake of the baby. But his attitude was so terrible towards me as if I was just an object to him and nothing more, we had so much arguments about him being cold towards me and him denying it. Then I find out that he was engaged to a woman back home who is widowed. I felt so terrible, this is something he could have shared with me before marriage so I could have made a better decision. His family back home demands him to send money which he does on a monthly basis, it didn't bother me because he was supporting his mother, but things went worst when he was sending half his paycheque to then 3/4 of his paycheque, on one side he is making me save money for him to pay his loans in Canada and the other every saving I do is sent back home. All in all I am through this marriage, he lies too much and I have no trust in him, I can't continue with this marriage.

I am sponsoring him, I am filing for divorce asap, I am also withdrawing my application to sponsor him anymore. My question is that when I file for sole custody of the baby will my husband be able to fight the custody or does he get deported because the immigration Canada told him he is subject of a removal order, the lawyer said because my sponsorship application is ongoing they won't remove him but the day I decide to withdraw my application to sponsor him, he could be removed from Canada.

Will I be able to get the custody of my child on this basis? Because my husband threatened to take her away from me.
Immigration and custody are two separate issues. It is very unlikely that your husband will be granted full custody of your child if you are a taking good care of your child. I would assume your husband will try to stay in Canada and file for H&C due to the best interests of his Canadian child.

Pleaase make sure you withdraw your sponsorship ASAP because I assume he will try to convince you to sponsor him and then get divorced. You should consider yourself incredibly lucky because many spouses discover these things after sponsorship has been approved and then end up being financially responsible for their spouse.

In general you should do a bit more research and get to know someone more before getting marrried. It does seem like you were aware of his desire to stay in Canada and it does seem like you could be considered a willing participant in this immigration fraud. This was clearly not a love marriage but also doesn't seem to be an arramged marriage between families. I am sure he wanted to have a child with you as soon as possible to try and secure his status in Canada. This marriage may still be a costly mistake but at least you can withdraw your sponsorship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just read your previous posts. You are very lucky this has taken so long. Please stick with the withdrawal. Spouses please be careful.

Dec 29, 2018
I just read your previous posts. You are very lucky this has taken so long. Please stick with the withdrawal. Spouses please be careful.
Thanks for your reply, he got rejected for the H&C before under refugee, I don't know how that works. See I was a single mom almost for 17 years and decided never to remarry, my family friend introduced this guy to my parents who liked him immediately and convinced me he would look after me. Unfortunately he lied to my parents and me that he never needed immigration because his case was on going and that he would get his papers. After marrying him and I must say he was in a hurry to marry me, how stupid of me to think that he was in love with me which was why he wanted to marry me but in reality it was something else, a month after I got married, I found out that his H&C got rejected and would be removed a year before he met me, meaning he lied about his refugee case being in process. The reason for him wanting to marry fast was because his work permit was expiring the following month. Because of the pregnancy I went ahead to sponsor him for the baby, during that time I find out about his widowed ex fiancé he never mentioned about before marriage. I had issues with that, till I complained to the family friend why she didn't tell me, she herself told me she wasn't aware his ex fiancé was widowed n available for marriage who actually is his cousin (sick). She told me to withdraw the whole thing and was disappointed in herself for introducing this guy to me and my parents. I withdrew his application first time last December successfully. You're right, he convinced me to not leave him, that everything was a misunderstanding and that I had nothing to worry about. My family and I decided for the sake of our daughter to give it a shot, we applied again, I swear God helped me in mysterious way that the second application was sent by the lawyer accidentally to the outbound processing office when in fact my husband is in Canada, we were at the stage where his biometrics were asked which was all wrong, immigration Canada asked me to withdraw n reapply to the inbound. The inbound app was sent end of this August, but I will cancel it. That's the reason for the delay. He sent stash of money back home and I think he will leg it when he gets his immigration.

I have 2 elder daughters that are at uni and this baby, I'm a school teacher, hopefully that would help. I'll contact the lawyer for the custody and to part ways from my husband legally. Thanks so much for the messages

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reply, he got rejected for the H&C before under refugee, I don't know how that works. See I was a single mom almost for 17 years and decided never to remarry, my family friend introduced this guy to my parents who liked him immediately and convinced me he would look after me. Unfortunately he lied to my parents and me that he never needed immigration because his case was on going and that he would get his papers. After marrying him and I must say he was in a hurry to marry me, how stupid of me to think that he was in love with me which was why he wanted to marry me but in reality it was something else, a month after I got married, I found out that his H&C got rejected and would be removed a year before he met me, meaning he lied about his refugee case being in process. The reason for him wanting to marry fast was because his work permit was expiring the following month. Because of the pregnancy I went ahead to sponsor him for the baby, during that time I find out about his widowed ex fiancé he never mentioned about before marriage. I had issues with that, till I complained to the family friend why she didn't tell me, she herself told me she wasn't aware his ex fiancé was widowed n available for marriage who actually is his cousin (sick). She told me to withdraw the whole thing and was disappointed in herself for introducing this guy to me and my parents. I withdrew his application first time last December successfully. You're right, he convinced me to not leave him, that everything was a misunderstanding and that I had nothing to worry about. My family and I decided for the sake of our daughter to give it a shot, we applied again, I swear God helped me in mysterious way that the second application was sent by the lawyer accidentally to the outbound processing office when in fact my husband is in Canada, we were at the stage where his biometrics were asked which was all wrong, immigration Canada asked me to withdraw n reapply to the inbound. The inbound app was sent end of this August, but I will cancel it. That's the reason for the delay. He sent stash of money back home and I think he will leg it when he gets his immigration.

I have 2 elder daughters that are at uni and this baby, I'm a school teacher, hopefully that would help. I'll contact the lawyer for the custody and to part ways from my husband legally. Thanks so much for the messages
Yes you were lucky that there was an error with your application. You should think highly enough about yourself that you can find someone to date or marry if you want. I would probably stick to partners who have PR or citizenship. I anticipate he will pressure you again to not withdraw the application. There is no reason he would get full custody of the baby. Unfortunately he will likely apply for H&C again based on his new situation (ie. Canadian child). Hopefully due to the short marriage you can avoid spousal support. I would be keeping evidence about him sending money to his family to show that he doesn’t need financial support if he is able to send funds to his family.