+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship - photographs

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
I am including around 250 photographs to act as proof for my wedding and relationship. Is it necessary to write the date of when the photograph was taken and who is present in the photograph? If yes, what if you don't know all the people in the picture?

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
We had this problem too as we had over a thousand guests. We did date everything and specify the people in the pictures (so that it didn't look like we just invited people off the street) but naturally most of the guests were extended family. We tried not to include pictures of people we didn't know and if we didn't know everyone in the picture, we wrote our names "with family".

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! What if you don't write anything on the back and just include the pictures. Will the application be returned or would that be fine?

If it is a must to write names on the back of pictures....do you just write on the back or can you use a label, then write on the label and paste it on the back of the picture? Would the pictures need to be dated as well?

Thanks again

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I printed all of mine out on printer paper (high quality) and wrote the names and places everywhere, date is applicable. They asked in my appl when the wedding was, so they can do the math.

I only submitted 11 pictures, though, so it was easy.

If they are digital, you could combine several on to one page with a heading "Wedding, X date" and list people as needed.

I would only really bother to list important people; family and friends who you listed in the application as having met your spouse.

Just my opinion, but 250 is excessive. Photos aren't the end all, be all of proofs.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
If you don't list dates and people in the pictures, what is it that you want the IO to get out of the pictures?

Quality over quantity. Like Amikety I photocopied or printed 3 pictures per page and wrote comments in the margin (e.g., reception - didn't list people, ceremony - listing the participants, my family pic - listed people, etc.). BTW I submitted 9 total - 6 pictures of the wedding/reception and 3 pictures with our kids, including one of all of us in the operating room immediately after birth :-[.

Sabriyah

Mar 25, 2013
Ya. I also agree tht I think 250 is too many photos. Ive had people give advice to maybe stick to 50 MAX.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Sabriyah said:
Ya. I also agree tht I think 250 is too many photos. Ive had people give advice to maybe stick to 50 MAX.
If it's a complicated application, I'd say around 100 is ok. Simple and straightforward yes around 50. Ours had about 70.

msingh2013

Feb 19, 2013
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the tips. It's not a complicated case. In fact, my marriage was just an arranged marriage. I met my wife a day before I got engaged to her. Then we had a year of courtship where we communicated over the Internet and phone before getting married a few months ago. After marriage I stayed with her for about a month and then came back to Canada. I thought CIC wanted to see as many photos of us together and with family. That's what I am showing in the 250 photos. In Indian marriages there are a few different ceremonies so I am showing photos of each ceremony at different times of the process. I am also showing pictures of us together in various locations with different people. I have a lot of single shots of my wife and I like her sitting in a restaurant and myself. How do I prove that I went to places without photographs? Should I include receipts instead?

Your advices would be greatly appreciated!

Eeriest Elk

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
Oregon
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
12-04-2013
File Transfer...
19-04-2013
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
23-04-2013
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
07-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-1-2014
LANDED..........
21-1-2014
In our case I printed multiple pictures on photo paper. We had the invitation list as was able to decipher who was who. We named who we could and did not identify the others, Although, in each picture we could identify some people. Finally, we had friends and family write letters affirming our relationship, they all included contact information. Each of the letter writers had at least one picture, so you could associate a name with a face.

Great advice in this posting. Quality over quantity is great advice.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Receipts work too. I used plane tickets and hotel receipts.

I think including communication between you is key. Showing you stay in contact and discuss thing pertaining to a relationship.

Basically, including hundreds of photos- usually that means lots of redundant photos. (My wife, my uncle Joe, and my aunt Jane for the fifth time!) I do agree more was needed in your case than mine or Margo's (although probably not 250). Hopefully for the year courtship you kept records of phone calls, texts, etc. Staging photos is really easy. Spend 1 hr every day on a phone card requires much more dedication. Same for sending 1000 texts a month or 1000 emails.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
msingh2013 said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the tips. It's not a complicated case. In fact, my marriage was just an arranged marriage. I met my wife a day before I got engaged to her. Then we had a year of courtship where we communicated over the Internet and phone before getting married a few months ago. After marriage I stayed with her for about a month and then came back to Canada. I thought CIC wanted to see as many photos of us together and with family. That's what I am showing in the 250 photos. In Indian marriages there are a few different ceremonies so I am showing photos of each ceremony at different times of the process. I am also showing pictures of us together in various locations with different people. I have a lot of single shots of my wife and I like her sitting in a restaurant and myself. How do I prove that I went to places without photographs? Should I include receipts instead?

Your advices would be greatly appreciated!
As everyone else is saying, quality over quantity, but I want to emphasize that for Indian weddings, VOs want to see that you had an appropriate wedding for your cultural background. Especially if you haven't been together a long time, haven't lived together long or have no children. Don't repeat the same kinds of photos of the same people, but you should include photos of various ceremonies in the wedding and name the ceremonies in your photo caption. We had about 150 pictures from our wedding alone and I can guarantee none were duplicate shots. Then we had maybe 50 with us together on various occasions and with each others families. I know a few people said 250 is too much but I had to echo your reasoning. Every case is different.

Also I agree about your communication during your courtship and after marriage being absolutely crucial. We only included receipts and tickets to correspond with a few photos.