+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship - help!

ukdentist

Aug 2, 2014
Hi guys,

I am a UK citizen, currently residing in Qatar. I recently married (18 months ago) a Canadian citizen who was residing in the US, but now here with me in Qatar. I wish to apply for Canadian PR. I would appreciate some advice on the process involved, having done some reading on the subject it is a little confusing.

Is it better for me to apply from Qatar or from the UK? I am considering leaving Qatar in the near future, though not yet confirmed.

What will be the approximate timeframe to receive the PR?

What documents are required from me? I will not be able to work straight away due to having to sit some conversion exams prior to getting licensed in my profession.
My wife is not working and has not lived in Canada for the last 20 years - is this likely to be a problem? I will be able to support us both and I don't intend on moving until i have cleared the required exams.

Any help much appreciated.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
You apply where you have citizenship, so through London. It is pretty fast 6-11 months average.

There are guides online at the cic website that explain step by step how to fill out the forms and what forms are required.

You need to get a criminal record check from the UK, and possibly Qatar (which I have read can be difficult if not impossible). You will also have to undergo a medical.

If your spouse is a citizen as you said then she can sponsor you from outside of Canada. Your biggest hurdle may be proving intent to live in Canada. They can deny the whole application if they do not believe you will settle in Canada, and with your wife having been gone for 20 years that may be a difficult hurdle to prove.

ukdentist

Aug 2, 2014
Thanks
Where can I get the medical done?
Can I start the application here from Qatar?
What can I do to prove my intent to move to Canada?
Cheers

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
IMM5540 29-04-2014, Intent to return 18-08-2014, PCC 26-08-2014
File Transfer...
Same day as SA. 15-07-2014
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
9/24/2014(email)...same day IP
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
ukdentist said:
Thanks
Where can I get the medical done?
Can I start the application here from Qatar?
What can I do to prove my intent to move to Canada?
Cheers
You can start the application, gather evidence, fill out forms etc. The medical I assume can be done at one of the specified doctors on the country specific list. Call CIC to ask if a citizen of uk can do this in Qatar. I think it can, based on others on here.

As for proving intent, this is especially important in your case. If I were you (assuming you are a Dentist), the best thing to do is secure a job in a Dental Labaratory. Show your employment contract and letter if you can. Once in Canada, I think you can start the conversion process and become a member of the college or association, depending on which province you choose to live in.

Another option is to apply via FSW? But you would be better to check that forum to see if this would apply in your case.

Koifish76

May 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 (ECAS)
Doc's Request.
IMM5540 29-04-2014, Intent to return 18-08-2014, PCC 26-08-2014
File Transfer...
Same day as SA. 15-07-2014
Med's Done....
Nov.4,2013
Passport Req..
9/24/2014(email)...same day IP
VISA ISSUED...
10/13/2014
LANDED..........
Oct.20, 2014!
Eowyn said:
There is a list of panel physicians on the CIC website. You must use one of them.

Yes, you can start the application from Qatar.

As the sponsor, it's your wife's responsibility to convince them of her intent to re-settle, not the applicant.
You may be right. But in some cases, the sponsor will mention about the applicant having work lined up. This would help to prove intent as well. I am just using my own logic here.

Eowyn

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
(CoPR) 31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Koifish76 said:
You may be right. But in some cases, the sponsor will mention about the applicant having work lined up. This would help to prove intent as well. I am just using my own logic here.
LOL accidentally deleted my message when I tried to edit something.
Yes, I do agree that it helps that the applicant has employment lined up, but the entire application is moot if the sponsor cannot convince them.

ukdentist

Aug 2, 2014
Fsw is not an option as dentistry is not currently in the skilled list. I'm looking at either clearing the ndeb exams or pursuing specialty training at one of the uni's. If I prove I am sitting the exams would this not show intent to want to move?

mazleen

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Malaysia
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Dec 2014
AOR Received.
AOR2: 16th March 2015
File Transfer...
9th March 2015.E-cas in process: 22nd August 2015
Med's Done....
8th Dec 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27th August 2015. DM : 27th August 2015.Passport sent:2nd Sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
11th Sept 2015
LANDED..........
my flight is on 19th Nov 2015 :)
Hi. Your case is almost the same with me. Dentist with Canadian spouse that left the country for a long time.To provide intent to stay in Canada is quite a challenge. If they are not convince then your application get rejected but the good thing is that you can appeal. Some people said that you just give them a letter showing your plan...letter from her family and friends..since she is not working it is even harder to proof unless she apply to further study or something. Maybe you can go visit Canada to take the exam and after you pass then apply Outland through London. I think your best proof of return will be for your wife enrolling in a school...but maybe no need to actually go back to school. Then when your application get approved you can go and start working as a dentist in Canada since you pass the NDEB exam. My case is slightly different. I don't mind taking a break from work so we're gonna do inland since I want my children to start school as early as possible in Canada. That's a big reason for our move actually. So I'm just concentrate on my studies...getting to know people so that easier to get a job..do my NDEB exam and hopefully pass..then get a job. Plus applying Outland for me is taking forever. Singapore timeline is up to 30 months and I'm scared they are not convince that we're going to move back since hubby don't have any ties to Canada other than his family.

beatitboss

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Hi There,

I am in a similar case as I want to sponsor my partner from Australia however I've been absent from Canada for the last 22 years.

Could you possibly recommend any good ways to prove that I am willing to relocate and permanently settle in Canada so that I can backup the application with credible evidence?

Cheers,

mazleen

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Malaysia
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Dec 2014
AOR Received.
AOR2: 16th March 2015
File Transfer...
9th March 2015.E-cas in process: 22nd August 2015
Med's Done....
8th Dec 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27th August 2015. DM : 27th August 2015.Passport sent:2nd Sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
11th Sept 2015
LANDED..........
my flight is on 19th Nov 2015 :)
ukdentist said:
Fsw is not an option as dentistry is not currently in the skilled list. I'm looking at either clearing the ndeb exams or pursuing specialty training at one of the uni's. If I prove I am sitting the exams would this not show intent to want to move?
I think they want proof of your wife's intent to move. So the strongest would be job offer but your wife is not working. The other one is acceptance into a college or something for her. I know that some people show letters..emails..money in the bank etc but they still want more proofs.

ukdentist

Aug 2, 2014
My wife is studying for the mccee currently she is a foreign medical graduate and is looking to pursue residency in Canada. I will get going with the application and see where I get with it.