+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship for permanent residency in Canada

sausavi

Dec 17, 2017
Hello,

I am a permanent resident in Canada from August,2006 and having living there since, then. I just got my PR card for Canada renewed in Feb,2017. I am married to my spouse who is an Indian Citizen. She works for an IT company and has been travelling abroad due to her work assignments off and on. After I got my PR renewed I travelled to India to meet her and stay with her in March,2017. I am currently residing with her for almost 9 months now. I got my last T4 in Feb,2017. Please advise after 9 months of my stay in India can I apply for her spousal visa for Canada from India? If yes, can I continue to stay in India with her until she gets PR. Or will I have to travel back to Canada to apply for her PR and stay there until she gets it.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Hello,

I am a permanent resident in Canada from August,2006 and having living there since, then. I just got my PR card for Canada renewed in Feb,2017. I am married to my spouse who is an Indian Citizen. She works for an IT company and has been travelling abroad due to her work assignments off and on. After I got my PR renewed I travelled to India to meet her and stay with her in March,2017. I am currently residing with her for almost 9 months now. I got my last T4 in Feb,2017. Please advise after 9 months of my stay in India can I apply for her spousal visa for Canada from India? If yes, can I continue to stay in India with her until she gets PR. Or will I have to travel back to Canada to apply for her PR and stay there until she gets it.
You (as a PR) would need to be in Canada for the entire process to sponsor a spouse.
As a PR you do need to make sure you follow the residency rules for yourself to continue to qualify as a PR.

(Out of curiousity, is there a reason why you haven't considered Canadian citizenship for yourself? As a citizen, you could have stayed with your wife during her PR process.)

sausavi

Dec 17, 2017
I am planning to travel to Canada next month. At the moment I haven't thought of Canadian Citizenship but might think later once I start staying with my wife in Canada after she gets PR. I was wondering if I can still submit the application from India before I leave for Canada

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am planning to travel to Canada next month. At the moment I haven't thought of Canadian Citizenship but might think later once I start staying with my wife in Canada after she gets PR. I was wondering if I can still submit the application from India before I leave for Canada
No, you can't. You need to be residing in Canada when the app is submitted and throughout the entire processing.