+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship - can they continue working for foreign employer while waiting for work permit in Canada

Qxx1

Oct 29, 2015
I have PR and want to sponsor my spouse who is in native country.
My spouse`s employer has a policy (prior to COVID-19) that their employees can work from any of their offices all over the world. They have a office in my city in Canada as well. Right now everything is remote as well.
She has tourist and business visa for Canada.
What we are planing is that after getting married, she can come to Canada on tourist/business visa and continue working for her current employer remotely while she applies for work permit /csq / PR based on my sponsorship.
Is that allowed ? or she will have to quit her job when she applies for work permit

we dont want to do anything that is not okay as we are in very beginning stage of planning so any suggestions and what to avoid will be welcomed

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My spouse`s employer has a policy (prior to COVID-19) that their employees can work from any of their offices all over the world. They have a office in my city in Canada as well. Right now everything is remote as well.
What we are planing is that after getting married, she can come to Canada on tourist/business visa and continue working for her current employer remotely while she applies for work permit /csq / PR based on my sponsorship.
Is that allowed ? we dont want to do anything that is not okay as we are in very beginning stage of planning so any suggestions and what to avoid will be welcomed
It's allowed provided none of the work involves Canadian customers / clients.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is that allowed ? or she will have to quit her job when she applies for work permit

we dont want to do anything that is not okay as we are in very beginning stage of planning so any suggestions and what to avoid will be welcomed
She also couldn't work from the actual offices or be paid out of them.

Qxx1

Oct 29, 2015
@scylla @canuck78 thank you for replying.

Presently she works with the Canadian team itself, I am not sure if clients are Canadian..and even if they are it maybe adjusted for time being I suppose..will have to check
But good to know thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla @canuck78 thank you for replying.

Presently she works with the Canadian team itself, I am not sure if clients are Canadian..and even if they are it maybe adjusted for time being I suppose..will have to check
But good to know thanks.
She will need a valid work permit to continue working in Canada.

Reactions: canuck78