+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsering inland vs. outland

gkar68

Feb 17, 2010
Hi
I am a Canadian citizen
I met in Alberta a girl, who is visiting her sister with a visit visa
She is from Syria
She is visiting and she started to do some study here, and she might apply for a student visa through the university.
We want to marry, and we are looking for the fastest way to sponsor her.
Is it better for her to apply for student visa and then we marry here, and apply for spouse sponsoring inland?
But we heard that inland process is taking longer than outland process
Is that true?
Is it better to marry here, and apply as she live outside?
in this case we don't have to apply for a student visa

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I think your second option is faster. No need for student visa.

gkar68 said:
Hi
I am a Canadian citizen
I met in Alberta a girl, who is visiting her sister with a visit visa
She is from Syria
She is visiting and she started to do some study here, and she might apply for a student visa through the university.
We want to marry, and we are looking for the fastest way to sponsor her.
Is it better for her to apply for student visa and then we marry here, and apply for spouse sponsoring inland?
But we heard that inland process is taking longer than outland process
Is that true?
Is it better to marry here, and apply as she live outside?
in this case we don't have to apply for a student visa

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
do it outland. inland sometimes takes very long and having all kinda difficulties. wish i would have applied outland.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She can try for a student visa and still apply outland. It is always your right to ask for processing in your home country if you want to.

Aradia

Mar 25, 2010
Hi,

As far as I know outland is usually faster, but there is a risk that if they request an interview, she has to go home for that interview...
If you are going with "outland", don't forget to apply for an extenion on her tourist visa at least 30 days before it expires.

If you want to go with "inland" it can take a year or even more, but next to the extention you can apply for an Open Work Permit WITH(!!!) the Sponsorship. As soon as they start to process your sponsorship (around 5-6 month), she will get her open work visa and she will be able to work with that legally till you guys receive the answer for your the sponsorship!

That's how they explaned the things for me, but I'm not and officer neither a lawyer... If there is anyone here guys, who could tell me/us that it's correct, i would really appreciate that!
Thanx and i hope i could help a bit!
Good luck for you guys!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no guarantee that you will get an open work permit with inland after 5 or 6 months. It is only if they give you first stage approval. If they have any questions about your application that would require an interview first, could be doubts about your relationship, doubts that the sponsor may have been on social assistance etc. you would not get first stage approval but instead your application would be transferred to your local office where you live for the interview. There it would wait until they have time for it which could be a year or could be 3 depending on how busy they are. That means no work permit and no health care until you get to that stage as well as being stuck in Canada because an inland is based on your living in Canada so if you leave and for some reason aren't allowed back in, your application is gone.

Not saying you shouldn't do it but make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed. There are a lot of people who have had inland go well and have had their work permit in 6 months and PR in less than a year, sometimes as little as only 8 months but there are also a lot of people who are still waiting and getting desperate after sometimes 3-4 years of waiting.