+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse PR Sponsorship within canada + Work Permit

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
If Spouse PR sponsorship within Canada and work permit application (paper based) has been submitted on September 2019 and no application number has been received until June 2020 and the current work permit is expiring in the same month.

Does the applicant needs to change the status to visitor visa??

OR

Will the applicant be considered under the implied status itself or no?? Because official the application number has not been issued. They did give the applicant temporary application number but did not issue official application number yet.

Please help, It will be really appreciated.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
You are eligible for implied status. If the application is found to be complete the work permit will be processed. If it's not, implied status will be cancelled retroactively. But the short answer is that you don't need to apply to change your status to visitor.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
If Spouse PR sponsorship within Canada and work permit application (paper based) has been submitted on September 2019 and no application number has been received until June 2020 and the current work permit is expiring in the same month.

Does the applicant needs to change the status to visitor visa??

OR

Will the applicant be considered under the implied status itself or no?? Because official the application number has not been issued. They did give the applicant temporary application number but did not issue official application number yet.

Please help, It will be really appreciated.
Implied status (which is a legal status) starts the moment IRCC receives the Open Work Permit so you don't have to apply for a visitors visa. But you need to find out if they have indeed registered the applications (both PR and OWP) as "received" in their system. Did you get an email saying that the application has been received? Are you able to link both the PR and OWP applications online?

Some people apply for a visitors visa (or extension) because if the work permit application gets sent back i.e. missing signature, incomplete application, etc. and you are out of status you will not be able to re-submit the work permit application. In this case, your PR application can still proceed even if you are out of status, but your work permit can not.

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
The system does not say received. I tried linking the application. Did not work.

The best option in this situation would be to apply for visitor visa. IRCC does have the application, the officer just had not opened it. The application is sitting there since September 2019. They even gave the temporary application number but not the actual application number that will consider it as complete.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
The system does not say received. I tried linking the application. Did not work.

The best option in this situation would be to apply for visitor visa. IRCC does have the application, the officer just had not opened it. The application is sitting there since September 2019. They even gave the temporary application number but not the actual application number that will consider it as complete.
Yes I would apply for a visitor visa.

I'm sorry but 10months and they haven't even opened your application???!!!! I honestly think that something isn't right here! I couldn't link our OWP for months and it took me over 6 months of probing until they told me that they had lost it and I only got that answer from getting my MP and the minister's office involved! It was marked as received but then they lost it and that's why I could never get an application number or link online. So when you can't link and there's no actual application number make sure you are getting the correct answers about your case! Relying on the call centre agents or webform responses is not always accurate.

A long time has passed and they haven't even opened your application yet! In my opinion I would get your local MP here in Canada to look into this for you.

How do you know they've received it? Did you get an official email from them? How did you get the temporary application number, did you get an official email about it from IRCC?

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
Yes I would apply for a visitor visa.

I'm sorry but 10months and they haven't even opened your application???!!!! I honestly think that something isn't right here! I couldn't link our OWP for months and it took me over 6 months of probing until they told me that they had lost it and I only got that answer from getting my MP and the minister's office involved! It was marked as received but then they lost it and that's why I could never get an application number or link online. So when you can't link and there's no actual application number make sure you are getting the correct answers about your case! Relying on the call centre agents or webform responses is not always accurate.

A long time has passed and they haven't even opened your application yet! In my opinion I would get your local MP here in Canada to look into this for you.

How do you know they've received it? Did you get an official email from them? How did you get the temporary application number, did you get an official email about it from IRCC?
We called IRCC call centre. They said the application has been received and for now they can issue a temporary application number ending with x. The officer has not open the application yet. They said, they will put a request for officer to review it.
In the mean time, we contacted Local MP to contact them. It's taking time due to COVID-19. We will hear back from MP within couple of weeks.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
We called IRCC call centre. They said the application has been received and for now they can issue a temporary application number ending with x. The officer has not open the application yet. They said, they will put a request for officer to review it.
In the mean time, we contacted Local MP to contact them. It's taking time due to COVID-19. We will hear back from MP within couple of weeks.
Great, contacting the MP is the right thing to do and I would reach out to them next week if you don't hear anything this week. I would also suggest you try and order your GCMS notes. They take about a month or longer now but they then give you the officer's notes on your file. Not sure if you can get them if it's a temporary application number though. I've never heard of a temporary application number.