+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse PR application

vbollu

May 18, 2019
Hi could anyone please help me with the following queries, it will be much-appreciated thanks in advance.

1) I am currently on a permanent resident status. I am looking to sponsor my spouse for PR in the family class category. I heard from the people saying that after marriage we can’t take the spouse to canada as a visitor visa, as the visa will be rejected if we apply for visitor visa for the spouse after marriage, the only way we can take spouse to canada after PR has been approved, is that true? Therefore, what I am planning to do, is file for my spouse visitor visa before we get married and later when we get married apply for her PR application as a family category after coming to Canada. Can I proceed with this method? Or it would be risky for my spouse PR application.

2) Can the visitor visa can be extended for my spouse if her PR application is in processing??

3) Can my spouse can get work permit when her PR application is in processing?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. It won't risk your spouse's PR application. However, your spouse will need to qualify for their own visitor's visa - they need to have a strong enough profile to receive a TRV.

2. Yes.

4. Only if applied inland. You can apply for an OWP will applying for a spousal PR and it takes about 3-5 months to process.