+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse PR application - Sponsor's name bifurcation in passport

sm99

Jul 22, 2020
Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR since 2015 and recently applied for PR card renewal, during the application process I realized that my Indian passport does not contain a "last name" and my PR card shows my entire name as my "last name" this caused some delay in renewing my PR card but the application was successful after providing a letter of explanation.

I am planning to get this issue rectified in my Indian passport by applying for name bifurcation wherein the indian passport authority will remove my last name from first name field and update it in the last name field and later I can update my driver's license, PR card etc.

Currently I am also applying to sponsor my spouse and would like to check if my name bifurcation in Indian passport will have any negative impact on my spouse PR application?

Can I get the name bifurcation done in my passport and still use my entire name as my "last name" while filling out my spouse PR application? Will this be called as a misinterpretation of information?

Thanks
SM99

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Currently I am also applying to sponsor my spouse and would like to check if my name bifurcation in Indian passport will have any negative impact on my spouse PR application?

Can I get the name bifurcation done in my passport and still use my entire name as my "last name" while filling out my spouse PR application? Will this be called as a misinterpretation of information?
I doubt it will be a problem since you've already had IRCC deal with it. Include a short letter of explanation. You may want to look at your previous communications to IRCC to be able to identify what name usage was used when and where.

And no, they will not consider this misinterpretation especially if you disclose it.

Jaspreet13

Star Member
Dec 24, 2017
Hi i need to ask one question I filed for my study permit extension and got rejected on the 2nd of September 2020 in that the officer told me to submit all the education transcripts for all the colleges that I attended but I failed to upload one transcript which is the current college that I was going to as i got it on the 25th sept but I didn’t mention the reason will it be okay if I submit it in express entry or will I charged on misinterpretation kindly help